We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire questions

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire questions

Hi,

We are arriving in Cancun next Easter and are staying initially at the Hotel Akumal Caribe and then in Tulum. We are travelling with 2 children (5 and 3) and are planning on hiring a car. Is this a good idea as i know there are a few issues with car hire( scams etc) We usually have a car as it gives us more flexibility. Any companies which have good reviews?

Thanks in advance

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire questions

Try EasyWay. Great prices and great service. We've rented from them for the past three years and have never had a problem. Just use common sense when driving and monitor your gas station stops.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire questions

great idea - I also recommend EasyWay near Cancun airport

Read the great hints in Top Questions on driving

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire questions

Thanks for your replys! Have started reading all the tips and will look at easyway. Are they easy enough to book online?

Thanks

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire questions

The major American and Euro car hire companies are all on site at the airport and going to a major travel web site will get you the price and car availability comparisons and you can then reserve your car from that comparison. I would suggest a larger car or small SUV as you are 4 people and your luggage and the kids in the back will leave little room for luggage in the trunk (boot?) except with a slightly larger car/SUV format.

Most of the rental agencies have a "concierge" in their lobby that tries to get you to "look at what they have to offer" in trips for less. They are hidden timeshare sales persons and will target you because you are a married couple. They will waste your time there and the presentation you will be forced to endure if you say yes will be shear torture. Simply rent your car and move on out of the building to get into your car. Oh, by the way, The airport exit right after you get your luggage, walk through immigration and check into the small booth for your car rental agency is like a gauntlet. It's the last 50 feet before you exit the building... 40-60 time share sales persons in nice uniforms aggressively come at you looking for their next sucker. Keep moving til you reach the outside.

I don't like to take anything beyond the minimum compulsory insurance, but you may feel safer getting the entire range of insurance. If you do, expect to pay as much as the daily car rental cost for your insurance. It is what it is! Make very certain to identify all scratches, dings and dents in the damage sheet before you leave... they look at that very carefully upon your return, because people really abuse the cars on the Mexican bumpy roads.

Easy to navigate the highway south for the 45-55 minute drive to Akumal. There will be occasional (1-2)check points or police stops thatyou slow down for and they wave you through. Don't worry about them, it's been this way for years and it's the Yucatan Peninsula's way of keeping the wrong characters off their roads.

DO OBEY THE EVER-CHANGING SPEED LIMIT SIGNS.

Police don't make very much money in salary, so they look for rental car stickers on cars and pull those people over to get bribes to let you go free. They will not stop you if you are obeying the speed limit, but it changes very often on the road to Akumal, so you really need to watch for it and don't be tempted to "keep up with the other traffic"... those faster cars passing you are locals with no Hertz or Avis or Sixt stickers on their car,so they won't be pulled over. If you are pulled over... act dumb for a few minutes and then, if you are getting that "knowing" look from the police, hand them 50-100 USD (or Euros), to"Pay your fine" and voila, you are free to go. Others might do differently and rather go down to the station and waste 2-3 hours of your vacation trying to get out of things more normally ... that's not how I spend my vacation. By the way, I've done this over a dozen times in the 20+ years traveling there.

Finally, every single Pemex station will try to rip you off. There are simple scams (re-setting the pump right after it's done and asking you for more, claiming you gave them different amount than you did) and they are experts at fooling you. Pull in and get out of your car and stand next to the tank while they are filling it and hand them the money you owe in exact amounts (with a 5-10 peso tip) and they will not scam you.

I use Budget and Dollar every time I go to Cancun airport and have been very happy.

Enjoy!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire questions

I drive on my visits, I get all the insurance and I also just take pictures of my rental car (date stamped on the pictures) -never had a problem with phony claims of additional damage or scratches. I usually get one picture with the agent in it as we look over the car doing the paperwork.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire questions

Car prices have more than doubled for Christmas this year . They always go up but this seems more than other years . Looking ahead to Easter , super high season demand , combined with some Spring Break high season demand will add to the cost of renting a car , considerably . The normal cost of renting a car compared to using transfers and taxis , whose prices do not rise seasonally , is one thing but doubling rental costs really hurts although I love the freedom of a car . Something to consider and plan around . Cheers

7. Re: Car hire questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 05:15