We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

viva wyndam azteca?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
viva wyndam azteca?

Has anyone been here recently?? Apparently they've recently undergone a refurbishment?? I have seen some dodgy reviews of this hotel which is worrying as i'm going there in feb (first trip to mexico!) would just like peoples opinions as this hotel isn't talked about much on the forems??? Thanks

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

It's a budget resort, so you will get what you pay for.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

Anyone care to expand on this????????? !

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

It is a good, no frills All Inclusive on the beach. The lobby is open air, and not as richly decorated as what you would find at a more expensive resort. Has a nice pool, great beach and cute little critters roaming the grounds.

Drinks are cold, food is warm. Both are plentiful and good. There is no drink waiter service so you'll have to go fetch 'em on your own. You are limited on how many specialty restaurant evenings you can reserve based on the length of your stay, but we found the quality of the food at the evening buffet to be very good too.

The thing I dislike the most is the way they are willing to waste your vacation time by encouraging you to attend a presentation on their Vacation Club. Did not like the brand of Scotch (Highland Mist) either. What I liked best is the quality of their coffee and after hours snacks. Some of the best I've ever had in Mexico. I also liked that we had the use of Viva Wyndham Maya down the street.

My wife and I usually stay at one of the Riu Palaces, but very much enjoyed the week that we spent at the Azteca a couple of years ago. We did get an ocean front room upgrade. I think most of the rooms have standing room only balconies and may not have a mini-fridge.

Hope you enjoy it. I think you will and that you will want to return to Mexico in the future.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

I've stayed in many resorts in the Riviera Maya, including lots of the "high-end", "adult-only" all inclusive ones. If you read my review, I enjoyed the Azteca - the price was less than half of the others and the hotel was well worth the money I paid. If you're NOT expecting the Ritz...then you should be ok!:):)

Beach is lovely, rooms are fine, as is food and service. It's clean and comfortable and has good entertainment. Another plus, is that it's within walking distance to Playa del Carmen (or a short, cheap taxi ride if necessary). It doesn't have the frills of some of the others.....but, then again...you're not paying their prices! (hopefully!).

I admit to being quite high maintenance....and I enjoyed the Azteca:):)

Happy travels, Mags

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

Thanks for the info, you've put my mind at rest after reading the lastest review (if you eat the food you'll be ill!) I realise it's not the most luxourious hotel but all i'm after is somewhere clean and the food is not going to kill you!

I can go back to looking forward to my first trip to mexico in Feb.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

As for food a tip that worked for us.

As a rule we try to eat as soon as the buffets are opened. This way we get the hottest food and avoid the food that has been sitting awhile. We have had little to no stomach issues this way!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

We stayed here 2 years ago & had a great experience. The breakfast buffet was always good. Plenty of choices & custom eggs/omelets as most other resorts have. We usually ate lunch in the beach/pool side area which was the standard fare of burgers, hotdogs, pico, salads, etc. Not a huge choice, but plenty to snack on until supper. They have hot, fresh pizzas available which were the best! Generally ate pizza because it was so good. They will even make a customized pizza if you ask. Dinner in the buffet was perfectly fine with themed dinners and a decent selection. The specialty restaurants are good - and shared with the Maya.

We loved the smaller size of this resort because the crowding was minimal. We had a room near the lobby, so we had wifi right in our room. We generally sat in the lounge/bar area at night which was really relaxing. As someone else said - the specialty coffee was excellent. I generally stopped there and ordered one to take to breakfast.

Just tell the timeshare people No thankyou and they leave you alone. Every resort we have stayed at has had some kind of timeshare salespeople. And self service on the beach or at the pool is not a big deal at all to us - we are not lazy beach blobs and quite enjoy getting up to take a little stroll for a drink when needed. So don't worry and enjoy.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

We stayed at this resort last January and it was good. We liked the food and the buffet open air eating was our favorite part of it. You can eat all meals outside which is awesome when you really think about it..January and winter time eating outside ☼.

This resort is close to 5th. You can walk safely downtown and it doesn't take that long..lots to see and admire in that area.

Please read my review....I wouldn't hesitate to go again. We are going back to the Mayan but we are going to a wedding at a different resort. Have fun!!

9. Re: viva wyndam azteca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 05:16