We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

We are a family of 4 with two older teen boys (16 and 19). We have been to Mexico at least 9 times and stayed at various resorts. Our favorite, hands down was Grand Velas Riviera Maya (we also loved Villa La Estancia in Nuevo Vallarta!). However, when we went it was overrun with families with small children who took over the pool and the chairs by 7 Am and it was a bummer. My sons are very mellow and when we vacation as a family we all like to sit by a nice pool, have great rooms, food and service, read and relax I have not been to Playacar in a few years but when they were small we stayed at the Iberostar Tucan and we loved the area for long walks on the beach.Now that my younger one is over 16 we are looking at resorts that do not allow young children but arent necessarily places where the boys will feel out of place. I have been looking into these two resorts and thought I would take y questions to the experts on this board. We dont want a crazy atmosphere, but we don't want it to feel like we are surrounded by honeymooners, we are big foodies, like a good gym, nice linens and attentive service. Thank you!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

Royal is adults only and your 16 year old will not be allowed

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,426 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

They're both touted as "adult only" but I've a suspicion that their age limit is 16 - of course, you'd need to check that with the resort as I could easily be wrong on that.

Either way, your boys will be bored to tears at the Royal Hideaway and I'm not sure that the RPDC will be much better as neither resort caters to teens and are are MUCH more adult focussed.

Perhaps look at the Grand Palladium?

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

The most recent time I was at Royal Hideaway, there were two children the same ages as yours from the UK. They were very mature and you could tell really enjoyed hanging out with their parents. You would be close enough to take them into town (5 minute cab ride) or a long walk on the beach and cab it back. I do not think they would feel out of place. There definitely will be couples and honeymooners but at RH they do get occasional families with older kids who want a slightly more luxurious experience than you would get at a resort that allows children.

As for the gym, it's small but sufficient.

I have been there 3 times and would go back. They had some of the best good (relatively speaking) and service of anywhere.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,426 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

Just noticed the RPDC's home page - it definitely says 16 and over.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

The Royal is way more social than RH. I suspect the Royal would be a better fit for your family. RH has an older clientele and is very, very quiet.

Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

Thank you all for the quick replies. My boys are like the ones from the UK. They are not looking for other teens or organized activities. We all like to read and relax during the day and have a nice dinner and play games like Bananagrams at night. So the quiet of the RH is welcoming. We have done the Club Meds, Iberostars, Palace resorts etc when they were younger. But now we jsut watn to spend time with one another, relax and have a more luxurious experience over all. I will keep researching...

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
804 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

If you don't want to fight crowds for chairs and pool spots at the crack of dawn then do NOT go to the Royal. It's super competitive there for 'good' spots.

Edited: 01 January 2013, 16:46
West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

1diva on here is truly the RH expert having been there over 45 times I believe. If you have any specific questions, she would be happy to answer - just shoot her a PM.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

I'm sorry - I shouldn't have said "children the same ages as yours" - they are young adults of course! :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal PDC vs Royal Hideaway for family

The Royal Hideaway is 13 and up, however, we were just there and it was so boring and quiet. I felt out of place. I felt like we couldn't even talk in the lobby bar. Waaay to quiet for me and I got the impression that noone would be impressed if you made any noise.

Just my impressions.