We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Hello all!

My husband and I are considering a trip to the VIM in late April or early May of 2013 (this year -- eek!).

Everything looks great, but I am concerned after reading a few posts about the "privilege package" or reserving palapas. My husband is very fair-skinned, so we definitely need to be able to be in the shade, but I don't necessarily want to pay an extra $100 a day for a palapa! What is the deal with this?

We stayed at Excellence Riviera Maya three years ago and loved it - there was no reservation system. Does anyone have any feedback on the palapa system? Will it be super crowded in the late April/ early May time of year?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#2 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#6 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#9 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

I am considering the VIM for May as well. I went there a few years ago, but in October, and even then palapas on the beach were hard to come by. I have heard they put up new palapas last year, though.

I'm sure Llisa will chime in and let us know.

:)

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Ok, thanks!! :) Was there shade without the palapas?

Also, how was the food when you went?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

We just got back from VIM a week ago.

They have put up Bali Beds for the "Privilege Club" members on the beach. They have 75 palapas on the main beach clustered by the swim area. Further south there are 15 additional palapas on the quiet beach and another 7 on the deserted beach. To be honest, if you need shade, the Bali Beds only give you 100% shade when the sun is overhead. The rest of the time you will have only partial or no shade from the Bali Bed.

Late April and early May are not the high season, so I think you will be able to find shade without too much trouble (you get shade on the beach from the palapas).

Food was great.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 05:01
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Marine,

Food when we went was really good. WAY better than our AI last year (Sandos Playacar).

Llisa is the expert on the VIM. I'm sure she will have better insight than me. Its been a while since our visit.

Goodspkr- That is way more than when we went! That is good to know.

Mentioned in this post
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,227 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Oh, forgot to add-no, on the beach there is NO shade unless you are under a palapa.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Like i mentioned in another post. There are plenty of shaded spots at the pools and on the beach that are open to all. The prime spots close too the bars at the pool and beach, and near the north swimible section of beach area places that people get up early to reserve for themselves. There are palapas and now bali beds in the prime sections that the VIM reserves for there privilidge club (which is an extra 840 per week). During the time your looking to go your shade issue shouldnt be a problem. The problem is during the high season when VIM is at max capacity the VIM will reserve more spots at the pool and beach for there privilidge club. Which leads to less prime spots for non-privilidge club guests. Usually what happens is non-privilidge club guests get up earlier and earlier to get the remaining "prime" spots near the bars at the pool and beach.

What the good news I noticed this year is that the privilidge package isnt atomatically thrown in with the higher priced room catagories and the fact that they raised the price an extra $10 per person per day over last year so the price is $140 more per couple 840 vs 700 might make the privilidge club less attractive to some people. Which leads hopefully to the VIM reserving less prime spots at the beach and pool.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

As noted by Goodspkr, they've added more palapas at the beach in the last year or so; I noticed the difference between October 2011 and October 2012 but am not sure exactly when they were built.

My problem is that I've only ever visited the VIM at low season (September/October). Toss in the fact that my husband and I are both very early risers and routinely get to the beach well before 8 am (often before 7 am), it's not difficult to understand why we've never had difficulty getting a palapa.....EVER.

There are only two options I can think of to recommend to the OP:

1. wait until you get there and see what the situation is like. If it's untenable, then arrange and pay for the privilege package when you're there; or

2. invest in a portabrella (or similar) - http://www.portabrella.com/ They have stacks and stacks of LOUNGERS at the beach, so I'm sure that's not ever an issue, it's just getting shade that can be tricky.

I also note from Token's post that reference is made to "prime" locations. I take this to mean that shade IS available without playing the towel game or buying the PP if you're prepared to settle for the "less desirable" locattions.

Apologies in advance for the thread hijack but welcome home Goodspkr! Hope you enjoyed your vacation - that was your fifth stay at the VIM wasn't it?

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Thanks Everyone!!

This is very helpful!! We don't care too much about the "prime spots" so it sounds like we will be ok!!

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Yes the prime spots are near the bars. What happens from around now til april or so it can get really windy on the beach to the point where its tough to sit on the beach because you get sandblasted. Then everyone wants a spot around the pool where the wind becomes a nice cooling breeze. This might go on for a couple of days then the wind shifts and the beach becomes nice again. During this time of the year the towel game can get ugly because if the resort is at max and the wind is blowing every spot at the pools will be taken.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya - shade / palapas on beach or pool

Is late Apil or early May considered a prime time?