We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax ?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Departure Tax ?

I have just been looking on thomson/firstchoice site and they say that we have to pay a 800 peso each tax when leaving the airport.

Now I understand that some/most companies include this in their price but thomson/FC do not, which is fair enough i guess.

My question is, on looking into this a little more i have read that if you take this "card" you receive into a bank you can pay this tax there and it will cost just under 300 peso each, is this correct or should we just pay the 800peso each when we leave, id hate to pay at some bank then be told that was not correct and we need to pay again!

:)

Edited: 06 January 2013, 00:40
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,499 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax ?

1st time I have heard about this card - I highly doubt this

Put 800 pesos in your passport and pay when you leave

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax ?

Yep, I've never heard of this card thing either. We Brits flying back to the UK have to pay at airport when leaving Mexico.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax ?

OK, thats what i was thinking, but its nice to be sure :)

just to get my wording better,

i have read that you get some sort of temporary residence card which you can take to a bank and pay this tax, at the bank it will cost you just under 300 peso, get a receipt and this will cover you at the airport.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 00:47
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax ?

Most airlines include the tourist visa cost in the total ticket price buy British charter flights do not, take your tourist card (FMM) to any bank and pay 294 pesos, the bank will stamp it paid ....why pay 800 pesos........

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax ?

Hmmm.............I think these FMM tourist cards are only available for Americans and Canadians and not us British. However, I'm going to look into this further now just to make sure.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax ?

The "card you pay at the bank" is only applicable if going into Mexico by land. It is effectively a tourist tax. The "departure tax" (charged separately by UK charters) includes this tax AND a whole host of airport taxes. So don´t confuse the issue - jut pay the 800 pesos when leaving!

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax ?

Thanks SteveMex, I didn't think we could and it did confuse me (doesn't take much to confuse me). At least we know we have to pay 800 pesos departure tax at airport.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax ?

Carico (Number 4 answer) Are you saying that if we are not travelling on a charter airline the tax is already included? (We are travelling with British Airways) that is a scehduled flight I believe

W x

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax ?

We have visited Mexico several times here from the USA and have never had to pay ..Maby it was included in our package.We just got back from our first visit to Punta Cana and we purchased our Entrance cards on line.Our departure tax was included in our package..

Jon

Essex
Level Contributor
477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax ?

Does the 800 pesos have to be in specific notes? Some countries require visa/tax money in a particular nomination. Also is this 800 per person?