We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

Last night we came back from Viva Wyndham Maya and all 4 family members had some sort of stomach bacteria or virus while we were there. My 8yr old daughter got sick after about 44 hours of arrival. For her we called in doctor who arrived and diagnosed her with what she called "Seaweed bacteria". She got prescribed antibiotics "Bactrim" plus Advil. Few days later other family members got sick one by one too. I do not believe antibiotic helped as other family members did not take it and recovery process was almost identical.

Symptoms - vomiting for few minutes or diarrhea (but not both in our cases), stomach pain, but feeling better after 24 hours and after 3-4 days almost completely recovery.

We saw other people with similar problems at our resort.

Problem is - I cannot find any disease called by this name. I have Spanish handwritten diagnostic, but I cannot read Spanish.

So, does anyone knows about this "Seaweed bacteria". Any proper naming for it, so I can do more reading about it online?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

We have the same virus going around on the UK for the last 2 months. It's called the Norovirus and the incubation period is up to 72 hours. It's airborne and highly contagious. People all of a sudden become very unwell and start vomiting or have diarrhea. It usually lasts between 24 to 48 hours. In the UK they have closed schools and even hospitals. I work in an office and so many people came down with it, lots were off work. My point is, you may not have got it from Mexico, you could have picked up at home even. There is so much of this sickness bug going around across many countries at the moment. They could all be suffering with the Norovirus.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

There is a "stomach virus" going around in my area also. THese things happen often and just run their course. We used to call it "the 24 hour virus". Who knows what really causes it!?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

There's some sort of nasty virus all over - see this post from a guy in Vancouver worried about his upcoming trip to Vegas - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k6016856…

My advice is to at least temporarily acquire OCD with respect to handwashing and use of disinfectant wipes.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 14:57
Canada
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

Yes definitely all over. We're in central Canada and our region was hit pretty hard with this nasty bug in December. I have a feeling you may have brought the bug there with you too! Either that or Mexico is being hit with it just like everyone else.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

My family has had it too here in Ontario. Who knows where it come from or what causes it? We too call it the 24 hour flu, the 48 hour flu, the 72 hour flu.....depending.

I don't think it has anything to do with being in Mexico.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

"I don't think it has anything to do with being in Mexico."

Or with Playa, based on our experience with it.

My son and I arrived late Friday night prior to Christmas and stayed with my wife and daughters at my MiL's house that night. Meant to get to the hotel the next day but never made it, or even made it into town. The day after that, we all drove to Chetumal, near the border with Belize, to celebrate Christmas with more members of my wife's family. Arrived there Sunday and stayed through Christmas before driving back on Wednesday night.

It was during that drive back that I started feeling sick. Then one of my daughters got it the next night, just as I had and pretty much as people have described: a few hours, quite bad; 12 hours after onset, achy, hangover-like feeling; 24 hours or so after onset, and after some focused rehydrating, still a little tired but eating and fine again.

There was nothing she & I, but not the others, had eaten or done, and no place just the two of us had gone, either. Didn't take any anti-biotics, only drank Electrolit (a kind of medical Gatorade) after we were able to, to get fluids and so forth back in the system and break the cycle of dehydration. Doctors told us a stomach bug had been going around recently.

FWIW!

Steve

Edited: 08 January 2013, 15:43
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

Thank you everybody for reply, I appreciate it very much!

We know we got this in Mexico as my daughter was at home 3 days before the trip. I am not blaming anybody, I totally understand that you can get this virus anywhere. I did not like hotel management response to this virus - pretending that problem does not exists, but that is another story.

At this point I am just trying to figure out what was that virus, if doctor was correct in diagnosing it and if my daughter really needed that antibiotic.

At this point it looks that norovirus fits description well.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

Lots of people have been sick here in Virginia. The virus you are describing and others. My hands are almost raw from washing them so much but I have fared pretty well, even with the other 3 members of my house testing positive for influenza-A. I will never question if hand washing makes a difference again!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,900 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

I looked up Bactrim and see that it is sometime prescribed for traveler's diarrhea, which is usually bacterial in origin. Often, E. coli.

If your daughter's rate of recovery with the antibiotic and the rest of the family's were the same without, I'd guess she didn't have a bacterial infection. Or, one that isn't sensitive to Bactrim.

When I've had traveler's diarrhea, one dose of Cipro and I was better in six hours or so. Although, Cipro isn't recommended for children.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stomach bacteria in Playa del Carmen (Viva Wyndham Maya)

You might have caught it on the plane...or at the airport leaving home.

Personally I use a lot of Wet Wipes and assume that every public surface I touch is infected.