We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations needed for mexico

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations needed for mexico

do we need any vaccinations to travel to mexico in september?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

When we went to the Dr's for ours because we had had all our childhood jabs we only needed two, typhoid and hepatitis

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

It really all depends on each person. When my mom went a couple years ago she need vaccinations (her doctor gave her Twinrex) because she has a health condition (Lupus) In January of 2012 (my very first trip) my doctor advised updating my booster shot from childhood and getting a flu shot since I'm in very good health. He said unless I was backpacking in the jungle, that a Twinrex vaccination for me at a 5 star resort wasn't necessary. Ask you doctor for his/her advice and have fun!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

I'd be looking for a new physician if one told me that being vaccinated against Hepatitis A (or B, for that matter) wasn't necessary because I was staying at a high end property.

Hepatitis A is endemic in Mexico and Central America. That means it's always around. It's also easily spread. No matter how careful you may be with your own personal hygiene, you're only as safe as the hygiene of those people making and serving your food.

People died in the US from a Hepatitis A outbreak several years ago. Traced to a Chi Chi's restaurant in Pittsburgh.

The disease is out there. It's easy to catch. Most of the time people recover completely, but, others end up with life long liver disease.

Ok, rant over. Now, go and talk to a physician who knows something about travel medicine. Then, you can make an informed decision on what to do about vaccines.

Here's a link to what the CDC has to say about travel in Mexico.

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/mexico.htm

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

Here in Pennsylvania children have to have the Hep B vaccine to register for school. It's not just important when traveling to another country. Hep A is especially easy to contract from food, etc. Just get the vaccines and you'll be set.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 20:37
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

I think you will find Julie that there are no vaccinations compulsory for travel to Mexico - they are just recommended. IF you do not take the recommended vaccines and you fall ill because of that, your travel insurance (you WILL have travel insurance won't you??) may be invalid and they will not pay out for e.g. loss of earnings due to having to be off work. I think the recommendations are Hep A & Typhoid but as someone said, check with your GP to get the correct information and be prepared to pay for them (some surgeries charge for both the drugs and administering them!)

W x

Barnsley, England
Level Contributor
824 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

We had hep A, tetanus and typhoid jabs - and they were free at our local GP surgery.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 20:52
7. Re: vaccinations needed for mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:19