We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice on tipping

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need some advice on tipping

Hi, My first trip to Mexico is now only 4 weeks away. It is also going to be my first experience of an all inclusive. I need some guidence/advice on tipping at the hotel. My partner just assumed tips were included in the price of the holiday and I think i did read this but I also know it is polite to tip in Mexico. Firstly I know the British don't have a great reputation for good tippers! But I always try when I'm on holiday, Some of you might think 'why only when i'm on holiday' but England is what it is and we are not a nation of tippers and it isn't expected here. However I have travelled to many places one of them being USA and I know it is very different overseas.

I am going to an all inclusive for the first time, so who should I be tipping? I was thinking the maid or who ever cleans the room, but is it expected to tip the bar staff who make our drinks? I'm guessing I'm going to have to use my own judgement but just wondered if there was some specific do's and don'ts that I should know about.

Thanks.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some advice on tipping

Where are you staying, Riu Tequila?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some advice on tipping

I tip the maid 20 - 50 pesos per day, the minibar guy 20 pesos a day (or a refill), the bartenders every 2nd drink or so 20 pesos, the buffet waiters 20 - 50 pesos if they do anything for me (water refill, drinks, any requests, the ala carte waiters 50 - 100 pesos and the transfer guy 20 - 50 pesos per person.

That's roughly what I tip and because it's AI, sometimes at the pool bar or beach bar you may have no money on you, so I tip the next time or whatever's convenient, but definitley do tip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some advice on tipping

While it's not required, it's definitely a nice thing to do as they don't make a lot and work 6 days a week. In the long run it doesn't set us back much and makes their lives a little nicer, I think.

I tip 20 pesos per day to the maid. One day I forgot so I left 50 pesos the next day. I don't often tip at the buffet unless the server is very attentive, or if we have them more than once and they are friendly. I always tip at the a la cartes as they give you more personalized service. I tip the bartenders occasionally and the servers that bring you drinks on the beach. I tip the bellboys as well. Anyone who makes a special effort will get a tip from me, at least 20-50 pesos.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some advice on tipping

I'm going to the viva wyndham azteca, I know it's not one of the big 5 star resorts but it looked ok, Thanks for the advice thats a real help, I have no idea how much 20 pesos is.......i'll look into that one.

Thanks everyone!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some advice on tipping

I tip about the same as maried 11 but there are few things not mentioned that I do.

For wait service at the beach or pool (i.e. someone brings me a drink at my lounger) then it's at least 10 pesos each time. At the bar, it's 20 pesos every second drink or so, same as Maried but if it's a large round or a lot of frou-frou, labour intensive drinks, then I tip more.

I also tip the bell boy around 10 pesos/bag (often rounded up to 50 pesos). If I'm using a private transfer, we usually tip them 100 - 200 pesos each way, depending upon how far we're going and we tip the greeter guy at the airport (if there is one) 10 or 20 pesos.

ALL of the tips I give are contingent upon the service rendered though. I have absolutely no compunction about not tipping at all if I don't think the service warrants it (rarely happens in Mexico though but it's not unheard of).

Edited: 09 January 2013, 20:08
Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some advice on tipping

I would agree with most everyone. I usually do a divide by 10 rule for easy figuring (its out a bit now, but close enough for me to approximate to home). 10 pesos is a dollar, 20 is 2 dollars, 100 is 10 dollars, etc. Oversimplified, but easy!

So, if we go to an a la carte and have great service, I would likely 70 - 200 pesos as I would tip 15-20% of the meal at home. Room service is usually either 20/day or 50 every other day (depending what i have for cash). Try to keep 10's on me for tipping at the bar and the beach servers, etc. I also tip based on service. Poor service = no tip. Mediocre service = small tip. Above and beyond = great tip.

Have fun on your first trip :)

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some advice on tipping

20 pesos note is worth about 1 £.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some advice on tipping

One more thing, it is nice to tip someone who wouldn't usually get a tip, like the gardener, the person who picks up litter on the beach, someone cleaning up the rest rooms, etc. For that, I usually give $5 or $10, american money.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some advice on tipping

Good advice mo32, I try to remember, but often forget and it's nice to be reminded:)

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some advice on tipping

Thanks so much everyone! i feel much more confifent now.