We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Any suggestions for a place to buy good silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen. I will be staying at the Royal Playa del Carmen in March. Looking for bracelets, necklaces, earrings, rings, thanks,

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

The honest answer is, where you live. There are no 'deals' on silver in this region, although there's a LOT of tourists that have this mistaken impression.

What you may encounter is a lot of overpriced fake silver. It's alpaca.

Just trying to help you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Thanks for your honesty.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

I've found some great jewelry over the years (and you do have to be knowledgeable about what you're purchasing) but the best --and most unique pieces I've purchased were in tulum at la joyaria by vincente. His jewelry is all handmade and very reasonably priced.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

I always see the jewellers this playa del Carmen, I think they are called diamonds international. The shop looks like it sells good quality gold and gem stones. Are they a good genuine jewellers?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,929 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Dunno about the Diamonds International in Playa del Carmen but have seen some negative posts about the one on Cozumel.

Thing is, as a tourist, you are a perfect mark for a fake jewellery scam. By the time you figure out that the pretty bauble that you just spent a lot on is fake, you will be hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away and thus in no position to really do anything other than come on forums like this and tell your tale of woe.

My advice is always the same - when in Mexico (or anywhere far from home, for that matter) buy the piece because you like it and the price is such that if you get it home and discover it's not real gold, real silver, real diamonds or whatever, you won't care. Remember, fake can be pretty too - it's just not worth the big $$$s.

If you insist on buying expensive jewellery in Mexico, then learn how to tell real from fake - which is not always easy, even for an expert.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 23:35
up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Price silver in your hometown.i found the prices were higher in PDC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

I too have found the prices higher than at home. (Vancouver) If I buy silver in Mexico it is purely due to uniqueness.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Diamonds International is all over Caribbean islands. My understanding is that they are reputable but expensive. Most of the time you can buy your jewelry cheaper at your hometown. Having said that they might have some 'bad apple' working in Cozumel.

White Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

Not asking where to get a deal, but where to buy good silver...for me, I have bought a very unique ring in a little store on 5th called something like "Sol de Jaguar" and a very unique necklace from "Hector Salgado" (sp?).

I have also bought gold/diamond pieces from Diamonds International, and have no complaints...I was looking for a Mexican fire opal, and they had the best looking selection.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy nice silver jewellery in Playa del Carmen?

"If I buy silver in Mexico it is purely due to uniquenessz"

======================================

How do you know you're buying authentic silver? How do you test it?

It's a fact that even the 925 stamps are faked on some. I know - my wife has one.