We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
300 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

Just out of curiosity

We have never been to Mexico before but an planning a trip to Playa del carmenin late Feb 2014.

Our initial plans are to go all inclusive poss in one of the Riu properties in Playacar.

However ....when holidaying in europe we usualy gobthe self carering route as we love choosing where to eat abd drink on an evening and having delved deeper into the forums and looked at the restaurant and bar reviews , we are now intrigued as to whether this would be possible in Playa del carmen.

We would appreciate and advice from members who have experience of this option along with info on any good places to stay, and any other info you may wish to share

We are not looking for five star luxury , just friendly and clean with air con and a pool within easy walking to a good selection of bars and restaurants .

Cheers in advance

Jim

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,451 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

It would absolutely be possible (arguably, even preferable) to do this in Playa del Carmen!

There are plenty of small, boutiquey-type hotels; I believe some (not all) of them offer breakfast as part of the deal, so there's your B&B. There are also lots of condos to choose from which will fulfill the "self-catering" part if you prefer that. And both types of properties are available at varying price points. Of course, you'll pay a premium to stay ON the beach, so if your budget is a concern, then look at places a block or two back. You'll also want to check for what's around your chosen accommodations - some clubs are loud and they all go late. For some people, this can be one of the downsides to staying in town but if you choose judiciously, that shouldn't be an issue.

For properties, check out Trip Advisor's rental property section, locogringo.com, VRBO.com and homeaway.com (not sure if the last two are now affiliated/merged with each other).

Happy researching!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

Jim, this is exactly how we like to do Playa! After spending many, many trips in AI's, we are now fans of boutique hotels, condos, etc....the food in Playa is absolutely wonderful. There are so many great choices out there!

Great places that are not loud, but close to everything......(in my opinion)

Porta Playa condo

Playa Maya

El Taj condo (most expensive of my list)

Aventura Mexicana

Casa Ticul

Luna Blue

Most of these are small boutique's.....I don't believe you can really go wrong with this group, and their are plenty of others to look at. You've got plenty of time to read reviews and do some digging!

I'd be happy to share our favorite restaurants as well. Give us a shout anytime.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

We've done the AI thing several times in Mexico, but this time we are doing it differently. I booked air and a small hotel in PDC thru hotwire. Much cheaper, and it does come with a kitchen with fridge, nuker, toaster, dishes etc. It is like a small apartment. I think we are going to love this! We can do our thing out way and that really appeals to us. The hotel is called Xtudio and it's right on 5th Ave. It gets good reviews here on tripadvisor.

Funkynassau in Ontario

Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
85 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

I prefer to do self catering. I like the affordable options in town and easy access to dining and bars. I am easily able to hop on a collectivo and sightsee.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

Definitely do the self catering. If it's one thing Playa del Carmen has it is plenty of restaurants. Fifth Avenue is very popular but be sure and go down the side streets as well and check the reviews on Trip Advisor.

6. Re: Playa del carmen self catering or B and B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 05:18