We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

GF and I stayed at Sandos Playacar (Adults Section) December 2012 and loved it. Thinking of returning to Playacar December 2013. Any reason to try the neighboring Iberostar over Sandos?

Seems the Adults Riviera rooms are nicer at Sandos and Sandos has a jacuzzi hot tub...not sure if IB does?

Any reasons to stay at IB over Sandos Select Club Riviera rooms?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

We got married at the Sandos Playacar and had 100 guests join us. We all LOVED the resort and some of our guests have returned.Enjoy!

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

We have stayed at both resorts, but we are a family with two Tween kids, so what we are looking for may be different from what you are looking for.

We prefer the buffet and snack food at Iberostar, although we did like the food at Sandos just fine. The a la cartes at Iberostar are, in my opinion, far better than the ones at Sandos though. Especially the Japanese.

The adults only section at Sandos is more new and modern than Iberostar, so if you're looking for luxurious rooms, I think Sandos may be better for you, provided you are in the Riviera section. We personally prefer the more rustic jungle-y feel of Iberostar.

Another plus for us for Iberostar is you can get beach umbrellas for free and set up right near the waters edge. No worrying about the towel game or finding shaded loungers.

There is a hot tub at Iberostar located in the center of the pool, but we are not pool people so I can't give any opinion on it. There's also an adults-only swimup bar at Iberostar. We have never used it, but I've heard it has recently been renovated so we will be sure to try it out next trip, which will be this summer.

I preferred the evening entertainment at Sandos because it is in the plaza, all open-air. The theater area at Iberostar is open-sided but has a roof, which is good if its raining I guess but it felt closed in and stuffy. I prefer the lobby bars at Iberostar though, very pretty and the best drinks I have had at an AI.

Drinks are pretty much the same at both resorts, watered down alcohol and sickeningly sweet syrupy mixes. Like I said, I only ever get good drinks at the lobby bars for some reason.

Not sure if I've helped! But those are my opinions. I really think you cant go wrong either way, both resorts have their pluses and minuses, just depends on what is most important to you. For us, we prefer Iberostar because of the more rustic jungle atmosphere and beach umbrellas. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions here or in a private message!

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

Also, we grew tired of timeshare people trying to get our attention at Sandos. Have been to Iberostar twice and have never seen a timeshare person. I guess they don't have them, which is nice. Not a huge deal, but it does get tiresome being hassled by them.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

Hi, sorry I know this is an old thread but wondered if anyone can help me. I am stuck between which of the two hotels to visit. We haven't been to Mexico before and want a fantastic beach with good evening entertainment (we are in our early 30s) I know the hotels are next to each other but are the beaches just as nice as each other or would you say one is slightly better than the other? Thanks very much!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

They are exactly the same, no difference.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

We (hubby, young son and myself) stayed at the Sandos in 2012 and liked it but found the food was just average - we walked around the Iberostar T/Q and liked the look of it and I've decided to try it for a trip with my daughters (who are in their early-mid 20s) at the end of April. There are Facebook groups for both resorts that you could also check out...

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

<<<They are exactly the same, no difference.>>>

I disagree. Sandos Playacar and the IB T/Q are not the same.

If you want to stay in adults only then go with the adults only section of Sandos, but you will be a distance from the beach.

The IB is smaller and has a great jungle feel.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

schmerl - I believe what post #5 meant was that the beaches are exactly the same (at least that's the way I read it).

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

Hi guys, thanks so much for your comments. Seeing as the beach is exactly the same I am leaning towards the Iberostar which is prob because of the jungle (!) and the slightly better tripadvisor comments. Would you say the entertainment are on par with each other? I just need to work out what month to go! Originally was going to go end of May but would rather go later in year but wondering if it will be too hot for us in say july and if it will be too rainy. Decisions! Thanks again

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandos Playacar vs Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal

Do yourself a favor, skip both, and choose RIU.