We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

please help ,been to mexico before and it was great but now we want to return but now we have a baby ( under 6 months) Do think it would be wrong to take a baby there .

thanks for your help

chicago, il
Level Contributor
273 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

We just took our baby to Playa who was 11 months old at the time. I see no reason why you couldn't take yours! We did take a lot of precautions - brought all her food with us, brought all her diapers/wipes so that we didn't have to hunt for them there, and brought a pack and play for her to sleep in so that she had her own comfortable surroundings. Also bring a few extra sheets and lots of clothes for baby!

We also took her to Spain when she was 6 months and she did great there too! I think as long as you plan on keeping your baby in the shade and bring a good sun hat she will be fine. Also hydrate often. Just remember - you will still have to do all of the same things with her that you do at home - but it will be better, because you'll be in Mexico doing them! My husband and I took turns having alone time during her naps so that we could hang at the pool or go to the beach instead of both of us sitting in the room or on the balcony the whole time. If your baby sleeps well in the stroller (which my baby did better at 6 months than at 11), then you can be completely free at naptime as well.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

thanks megustamex, its always good to here from some one whos been there before. my other worry was how will a young baby cope on a 10hour flight, but it looks as though your baby coped with that going to spain, thanks again -

carl

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. Some babies are good travelers and others aren't. Our daughter was the latter! However, she would usually fall asleep on the plane from Detroit to Florida. I realy did't feel comfortable taking her out of the US util she was much older. I guess my biggest concern was if she got sick that Mexico wouldn't have as reliable a health care system as we do.

Yet, many people take their infants and do fine. If you haven't taken the baby anywhere yet, try a short trip at home and see how it goes.

michigan
Level Contributor
648 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

My only 2 concerns would be sunscreen and bug repellant. You should ask for your dr.'s advice on this, but they may not want you using either until baby is at least 6 months old. If that is the case, you should wait a few months. Aside from that, just use all the same precautions you would in the summer months at home. It would also be best if baby could be sitting up by themselves, that way they could bob around in the little infant pool floaties, with you holding on to it. I have travelled quite a bit with my kids, starting when they were infants, and we very rarely have negative experiences travelling with them. Depending on your personal views on this, you could also consider a resort that has a baby club. That way you could have baby nap inside in out of the sun, and you and hubby could take a romantic stroll, go for a swim on your own, and do general couple things a couple of times while you're there.

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

Sorry to say but I would not recommend taking your baby to Playa untill he/she a bit older. The flight is very long and the heat and humidity might be very uncomfortable for him/her. This is just my opinion, but there are too many what if's for me. What about somewhere closer to England??? And then hit Cancun when the baby is old enough to enjoy it.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
273 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

Chill, I don't know if you are buying a seat for your baby or not. If you want the plane trip to go best I suggest that - or just see if you can get a free one if the plane is not full. Our baby slept best in her infant car seat on the plane on the way to Spain, where we were lucky enough to get an empty seat for her. We were not so lucky on the way back though - it was a full flight. We had prepared for this and knowing that she sometimes fell asleep on her diaper changing pad at home (like a small mattress), we folded that up and brought it with us on the plane. Then we put it down on the tray table in front of us and put her on it when she got tired. She slept for 2 3-hour intervals on it on the plane! I don't know if you have the same kind of thing in England but it was a godsend!

Other than sleeping on the plane, just make sure you bring plenty of small distractions for your baby (although cups, magazines, and even impromtou sick bag puppets work!). And make sure you feed baby on the ascent and the descent to prevent ear pain. I guess we were lucky - we didn't have any problems and it was generally a breeze travelling with our baby.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ne1 taken a baby to mexico ??????

thanks for all your help, we think we're gonna play it safe and wait a little while longer. :-)