We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

I'm trying to book something for march and it seems that many of the higher end places in Playa Del Carmen are adults only? I have been to Iberostar's in Cuba and we liked them. I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Take a look at:

Paradisus La Esmeralda (Playa del Carmen)

Azul Beach (Puerto Morelos)

Azul Sensatori (Puerto Morelos)

Azul Fives (Playa del Carmen)

The Beloved Hotel (Playa Mujeres)

Grand Velas (Playa del Carmen)

Dreams Riviera Cancun (Puerto Morelos)

Dreams Tulum

Dreams Puerto Aventuras (Puerto Aventuras)

Barcelo Maya Palace (Puerto Aventuras)

Edited: 05 February 2013, 22:54
Mentioned in this post
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del...
8,325 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort...
3,905 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Cancun
Azul Beach Resort...
10,376 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
3,607 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
8,641 Reviews
Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Iberostar Paraiso Maya or Lindo, excellent accommodations, great service, plenty of dining options, huge beach, multiple pools, wave pool, lazy river, daytime activities and evening entertainment.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
5,311 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Azul Beach, Iberostar or Barcelo would be my pics! However, with that being said...Azul Beach is our fav, but my kids are older and the biggest reason we love it is for its small size. I would say Barcleo for you with kids 10/13 and I'd like it over Ibero. Here's why: HUGE pool, kids water park, GREAT snorkeling right off the beach, lots of pool/beach activities and the pool is right next to beach so you can hop back and forth. Ibero is nice, but pool is too far from beach for me, no snorkeling and water is rougher. Also, Barcelo Palace is newer than Ibero lindo and Maya. My dos pesos!!

Mentioned in this post
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort...
3,905 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
410 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Have browsed the reviews of those mentioned and they all look like possibilities. Thank you guys for taking the time. Is there one major airport there? I am clueless at this point about the layout. I think I'm just going to book our airfare/itinerary first and then book a place. Would suck if I booked a place first and could not get a good flight itinerary. Don't laugh when I ask this but is playa del Carmen near cancun? Or near the other hotels suggested? I'm hoping there is one airport that I should be looking at that has access to all of these resorts.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 01:52
Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

(Coming from the west coast with a short window for vacation time....flights are about as important as accommodation on this particular family getaway)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

The airport you would fly into would be Cancun (CUN). From there, we take a pre-arranged shuttle/van to the resort. We've visited the area twice and have opted for a private transfer both times, just for its convenience and time savings. There are a few transfer companies that are recommended on this forum (USA, Cancun Transfers, Lomas etc.). We've used Olympus (arranged through our TA) and have been happy with their services.

Most resorts mentioned so far will be within 20-60 minutes from the airport. I believe the resorts in PDC are about 30-40 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Helpful info Chloe and thanks.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

I am surprised that you are looking at the booking separately flights and resorts coming from Vancouver? The most cost effective way is to book a package - the same way you do flying to IB Varadero:(

If you need the length different from 7/14 nights look at the WestJet or Sunwings packages they have variety.

Escapes at their page

http://escapes.ca/lowest-price-finder/

gives you a tool to find a best price for the needed destination/length. Your destination is Riviera Maya. The beach is much better at the Barcelo and their higher end part there is Barcelo Palace. There is a snorkeling avail. at some of the resorts in Riviera Maya right off the resort's beach but the beaches there are mixed - sand/coral. There is a good snorkeling off the Grand Palladium beach.

The beaches in Riviera maya are very different from the Varadero. Most of the high end new resorts are located on a very mediocre beaches as the area was developed very long time ago and most of the good beaches are already taken so the new resorts are built where the space is avail., sometimes they are trying to make up for the beach by the better pools/food so you will have to make an informed choice.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

Hi Olga..,thanks .good info. I don't think the packages will work for me this trip due to our days. I have an endless amount of travel points with various carriers and will look to see what works best. Interested in your comment about the newer developments and the beaches. My perfect trip is ocean that looks like swimming pool water and a large pool and clean accommodations. Food? I don't expect great food from an AI though I heard the food at AI's tends to be better in Mexico than Cuba or the DR.

I'd for sure stay at an older resort that was on a better stretch of beach.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Higher end AI with a 10 and 13 year old?

My vote would be for Barcelo Palace. March will be windy with waves You can forget about the ocean that looks like a swimming pool in march. When we were taking kids during easter break they loved the waves. The windy conditions you will experence at any resort you choose during this time of year.. Boogie boarding is very popular. At Barcelo you can walk a mile on the beach and still be on there property. Out of all the resorts we've taken them to in Mexico and the Caribbean they both liked the Barcelo the best

Mentioned in this post
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
16,585 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America