We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just boooked RPDC!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Just boooked RPDC!!!

I am so excited I'm about to burst so I can't contain it anymore...we finally broke down and booked a 7 night trip to RPDC for this August.

We were originally booking Secrets Silversands until the nightly room rates shot up there. We were nervous about their beach to begin with but were "ok" with it given the great rates. When we went to book the trip we noticed the trip went up by $300pp...not cool. So we looked around some and found the best rates we've ever seen for The Royal and booked instantly. We honeymooned there in 2008 so I know we'll have a great time. I was never this excited about SSS so I know we made the right decision.

If anyone that's been there lately has any tips, info, menus, etc. it would be greatly appreciated! I'm also trying to start a list of some off-the-menu drinks that are worth trying so feel free to make suggestions.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 16:04
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

I am leaving in 13 days, my 1st time at the Royal so excited!! We have been to OGX, RMP

And 3 resorts in Cancun but this is are 1st AO and the most expensive... We are pretty easy going people but I hope I am not disappointed because my expectations are much higher then ever before. I have been stalking reviews and forums since Oct!!

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

Congrats - great resort and a perfect home base for wandering the streets and beaches of Playa!

We're hitting Hawaii this spring for our 35th anniversary, but are already planning our return to the Royal in the winter...

Have Fun!

dkcap - you'll love it!

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

Lucky you, we spent our 25th wedding anniversary here 3 years ago, wish we could afford to stay again but very expensive from UK, you will not be disappointed I have no complaints about this hotel, the best holiday ever.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

dkcap- you shouldn't have any regrets! We haven't been to RPDC since 2008 but I've been reading reviews since then and had zero hesitations booking this time around. It's an amazing resort. Nothing is ever perfect but if you had fun on your other trips you're in for a treat this time around!

I read a review a loooong time ago that the sister resort (Gran Porto Real) has a rooftop adults only pool, can anyone confirm this? I haven't even tried to research yet.

Also has anyone exchanged any of their time with The Royal Cancun? I dont know if we'd want to pack and move resorts but we've been wanting to visit the Cancun location just to get a feel for it. The corner suites there look amazing so we thought we'd try to visit it this time around.

Toronto
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

we're headed to RPDC next week for our honeymoon! i'll be sure to fill you in when we return :)

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
52 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

I saw great rates for this October. Is it too early to book our vacation?! We want to book the oceanview? Good idea or not worth it?

Texas
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

I'm no expert on the best time to book but when we looked up rates on Expedia for this August we had never seen them this low. I hope it doesn't bring down the overall experience of the resort but at the same time, we're passive travellers so I'm sure we'll be fine. I say book...the quicker I book the happier I am :) And oceanview was only $22/n more so it was a no brainer for us to book that.

Gem08-please let us know how it goes! We're really interested to hear more details about any live music they have so if you witness it let us know what kind of music it was, if people were dancing, etc. Another post here (Romy-88) has been several times and confirmed they have it, I just like as many details as possible (where, how late, vibe, etc.).

Edited: 06 February 2013, 18:16
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

We'll be arriving at RPDC for the first time this weekend. Decided it was time to stray from our usual favorite and venture out a bit. SO EXCITED!! From all I've read (I'm a fellow stalker like you dkcap) it sounds like we can't go wrong!

Texas
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

Sherry-what is your favorite you're straying from?

We have been to Valentin Imperial Maya the last 3 times but felt very great about coming back to RPDC. The couple we're going with didn't want to go there at 1st, of all things they didn't like it was the location. After Secrets Silversands went up so much in pricing they started doing more research and are slowly falling in love with it!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just boooked RPDC!!!

@Kelli......we stayed at Sandos Caracol in Feb and Nov/12. Loved it but keep in mind we did upgrade to the max (1st time Royal Elite ocean view penthouse and the 2nd time adults only Select Club penthouse). Still less expensive that RPDC, SS and those types of resorts. It's a very laid back, friendly resort, a huge eco resort.....just what we were looking for. RPDC will be a whole different type of holiday. We can hardly wait!