We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Both of these resorts look great, and they both get great reviews. I am hoping to get a better price on EDM because it is at the top of my list!! It is pricing out quite a bit higher. I think the swim-outs at Secrets might look better??

What are the major differences between these two?

Are the swim-outs warm enough to use if we go there in early November? Thanks!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Size is the obvious difference. EDM is intimate with a very different style from SMB. The water IMO and IME is generally rougher at SMB and we really enjoy the calm water at EDM.

We prefer the beach at EDM as it is never crowded and there are so many beach beds and lots of shade. The resort itself never feels crowded, even at capacity.

The staff at EDM is wonderful and the swim up suites there very nice, and I am not normally a fan.

The pools have never been crowded when we have been there.

We are booked for our third stay in May. We like smaller, boutique resorts and this is one of our favorites.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

I've been looking at both of these for a June trip, so I'm interested to see some responses. As for you, EDM is pricing quite a bit higher than SMB, which kind of surprised me.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

We have been to the EDM 7 times so far and would simply not go to the SMB. It is entirely too large for us, anything over 100 or so rooms is out. On our first 4 or so visits to the EDM (I now have some injuries which preclude long walks) we would make the walk the 1 1/2 miles or so up to the SMB on a daily basis and were so happy to be able to turn around to return to 'our' quiet beach where there was plenty of room for all without having to be seemingly on top of one another (and that was in the September timeframe when occupancies are typically very low - I could not imagine how crowded the beach at the SMB would be at high season!).

We love the intimate atmosphere at the EDM where you meet you fellow travelers and can quickly become a close group of friends (we are still close friends with a couple that we met on our first visit to the EDM and we typically plan trips to return to the EDM at the same time).

Good luck in your choice!

philly
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Rooms - SMB

Beach - EDM but both are very nice

Food - Great breakfast and lunch at EDM. Dinners better at SMB.

Night life - SMB

Pools - SMB. We never had a swim out at either but heard they were cold at SMB and recently read that they are now heated at EDM.

Service - Great at both

Drinks - Both good. Always ask for brand of liquor you want.

EDM is much smaller and laid back. Middle age to older clientelle.

SMB is larger and more activity. Younger people were there when we were. Biggest negative to me was all the concrete and steep steps to lobby. There is an elevator though.

We would go back to or recommend either if the price was right. I agree with you that they are both kind of high $ right now due to popularity.

BTW: EDM had construction going on last year when we were there. Didn't bother us but they were adding suites.

texas
Level Contributor
851 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

just returned from trip 7 to edm....we like for the awsome beach with almost no waves, quiet, incredible service and fact that there are always empty chairs, beach beds,umbrellas....no towel games....no wrist bands...no reservations required for dinner......as far as rooms go there are several types of rooms depending on what you are looking for....if you get the right TA its comparable in price. :) happy trip planning

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Actually in our multiple visits to the EDM the age range has been very diverse from newlyweds (mulitple couples in this 20-30 yr old range) to older couples (60s plus) so I do not agree with Tompson's assessment that the clientele is more middle aged to older. We started visiting when we were in our mid 30s (certainly not quite middle age, though I would probably fit in that category now at 42!). :-)

Edited: 14 February 2013, 16:19
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Oh, and there is no current construction on going at the EDM.

texas
Level Contributor
851 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

Amy...if you are middle aged Im ancient!!!! and I agree...theres always a pretty even mix of couples in their 20s-30s to people up to 60s

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

:-) Suzi - you are only as old as you feel... and with my injuries, my body certainly feels ancient!! Curse all of those years of ice skating and playing sports, I am certainly paying for it now (trying to get my mind wrapped around being 'fluffy' as I saw someone post about themselves on a different forum)!

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. El Dorado Maroma

I have not been to El Dorado but I have been to Secrets Maroma and it is beautiful