We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waiter includes tip

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Topic
waiter includes tip

Had lunch yesterday at Lido.We sat at the bar. the food and service were good.when I got my check I notice a 47 peso charge.I asked the bartender and he admitted it was his tip. Not sure if this is normal or if he scams everyone that isn't paying attention

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waiter includes tip

I've been to plenty of places where gratuity is included in the bill. You just have to watch your bill and pay attention so you're not double-tipping.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,310 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waiter includes tip

To me, its not so bad that they add it if it is clearly marked as such. But they often try to sneak it in. One restaurant in Valladolid has tried it on me several times. When I ask if it is "propina" , they admit it is. It hurts them because it is 10% and so thats all they get. I would normally tip more.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waiter includes tip

I avoid places who add thier own tip. To me a tip is something earned not added on. I usually tip more than the base tip included, but that should be my choice!

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: waiter includes tip

I agree with takeme2coz. The only time I would find it acceptable is if I was in a large party of 8 or more.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: waiter includes tip

This practice is very common in New Orleans - usually from 15% to as much as 25%. The result is some of the worst service in the dining industry - why work on great service if you get the tip regardless? I've never noticed that the "included tip" is mentioned on the menu, so it is also deceitful to me that they try to slide it in.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Playa Del Carmen
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: waiter includes tip

Lido's always incluces the tip in the bill. I have found many places here that do the same. Always check your bill very closely not only for the added tip but also for accuracy in addition and what you ordered. This is more common in the bills that are hand written of course. Could be on purpose or could be that someone just doesn't do math very well!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: waiter includes tip

Does the OP have an English accent? Although I live in Canada, my accent is still strong, and I've had waiters either add a tip or circle 'tip not included' before, in places I know normally don't. I've always assumed it is my accent, because tipping is not as extensive in the UK.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: waiter includes tip

I don't care for included tips either. If places add 10%, I usually don't leave any more. And, I usually tip 20% or so.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: waiter includes tip

Just because it may be the restaurants policy for the tip to be included doesn't mean the waiter did any less of the job and should still be tipped what you normally would.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: waiter includes tip

This only happened to us at the restaurant we ate at in the airport.

We had to have the waiter explain it to us, at first we thought he screwed up on the pesos exchange...then we finally realized he included his tip. Then after that we realized why he seemed so surprised on us giving him a tip! lol