We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edventure Excursion..input???

Mt. Pleasant
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Edventure Excursion..input???

researched excursion options...found edventure...any input from those that did this excursion? Show I pay the extra for the guide of the ruins or do on own??? looking for input...

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

We have used them several times. Absolutely top notch operation. You will not regret booking with them.

As far as Tulum is concerned I would not do it with a guide. It is easy and fun to do it at your own pace.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

Several years ago we did Coba, Myan village, cenote, kayaking and zip lining with them. They were fantastic. I would not do zipping again however, as theur regulations certainly are not the same as ours. They did not wait for one person to be off the line, before sending another. A gril I work with did zipping in Mexico and witnessed 2 people crash, broken ankles and the whole bit. That was in a different spot and with a different provider.The Myan village ladies provided lunch and it was the best meal we have ever had. Coba guide was done I believe by Edventure staff, if I remember correctly. It was not my thing as I am not into history. Hubby loved it, and for sure without a guide you would lose a lot.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

My family used them to do a combo of zipping, repelling, cenotes, & Tulum. We paid separatly for a guide at Tulum. (it was very inexpensive - I think like $ 5 or 7 dollars, but that was a few years ago). The guide explained a lot of significant things we would have otherwise missed. For us it was money well spent. Our son (9 or 10 at the time) loved the historical/cultural part of the day more than the adventure and since then he is very interested in history & culture.....priceless!

Edited: 23 February 2013, 17:21
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

Forgot to mention Edventours was awesome!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
62 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

We used Edventures a few years ago and I have since referred several friends to him. They are outstanding, easy going and will do things exactly how YOU want to do them! There were 3 of us and we ended up having our own private tour, not because we asked for it, it just happened to work out that way. We did the Cenote, Zip lines, Turtles and Yal-Ku Lagoon... and on his recommendation we stopped on the side of the road for some amazing tacos! He is so laid back, never rushed us, we spent the whole day laughing and learning. All in all it was a great day, probably one of the best that we've had down there!

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

I have also used them twice and highly recommend the company.

DO do Tulum. DON'T get a guide. DO invest in a waterproof camera!

You will have a blast!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

Check the Trip Advisor reviews by just typing in their name in the top right box that says "Search". They always get excellent reviews. Everybody thinks their guide is the best, but I know Hector is the best.

I've done Tulum Ruins with and without guides, numerous different guides. I do think a guide adds value. If not then do some research on the web or get a good guide book. We have also shadowed other large tour groups and listened in. Every guide seems to present a little different information. Always a great breeze off the ocean.

north carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

I think you would miss a lot of things wthout the guide to tell you about it! Definitely worth the extra money!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,667 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

As a FYI, the Ruins also have guides that can take you around

Coba, Tulum, etc - I recommend Coba as its bigger - you can climb the main pyramid

on your right is a great collection of hints / tips on the Ruins

From the Playa del Carmen Destination Experts

MAYAN SITES: Tulum, Coba Chichen Itza y mas

Mayan sites in the area offer a glimpse into the past history of the area. Tulum and Coba, nearest to Playa del Carmen, are day-trips easily accessible by public transportaion, tours or a rental car. Go early to avoid the heat and crowds.

Chichen Itza, Tulum & Coba

On your own and tour options. ... (more)

ADO and Mayab Bus to Coba Mayan Site

Link to bus schedule for $7 US one way per person for public transportation to Coba. ... (more)

Drive TIme to Coba and Chichen Itza

Coba is very easy to find from Playa del Carmen and other points along the coast. Renting a car allows freedom unlike a tour group. ... (more)

Coba- On Your Own

Public transportation to Coba Mayan site. ... (more)

Choosing a Mayan Site

Helpful thread with information on several Mayan sites, including those farther from Playa. ... (more)

Ek Balam from PDC by rental car

Directions for a daytrip to this less crowded Mayan site ... (more)

10. Re: Edventure Excursion..input???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:15