We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

Trying to figure out plans, i.e. when to go, for our next AO trip.....and a lot of it depends on how many days we can get away and when (since we have 1-2 more family vacations to think about too).

Did our first AO/AI trip (to EPM) in Jan. for 4 nights....too short. Have 2 young kids at home so thinking a week may be too long....due to the guilt-factor of leaving them with the Grandparents for that long. But also thinking DH and I could use a longer trip this time around.

So just wondering, for you parents with young kids at home, how long do you usually go away without them? And how often.....once a year, for special occasions only, once in a blue moon or never?

Before our trip to EPM, it had been years since we went away by ourselves. Now....can't wait til the next time....but feeling a little guilty for wanting to plan trips without them!

Edited: 01 March 2013, 00:29
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

We are taking our first vacation without out toddler since she was born! 5 nights and I know it won't be long enough. Before kids we took vacations for 10-14 days usually. We are so excited but yeah it is hard not to feel guilty.

Amherst, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

I wish we could have taken vacations when the kids were little, but the money wasn't there. However, now that we are grandparents and have babysat the girls since they were born, it is again hard - especially for Papa as he is the main caretaker. I will tell you this - Ipads on both ends and facetime make it MUCH easier! You can call, the kids can see you, you can show them where you are, the pools, the ocean.

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

We are taking our 2nd vacation without the kids. We did a week at Iberostar 2 years ago and will be leaving for our second vacation in early April. It is nice to get away but by the end of the week I am ready to be home. We figure we better take vacations alone when They are little because once they are bigger they will want to go with us.

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

We are taking our 2nd vacation without the kids. We did a week at Iberostar 2 years ago and will be leaving for our second vacation in early April. It is nice to get away but by the end of the week I am ready to be home. We figure we better take vacations alone when They are little because once they are bigger they will want to go with us.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

Since we are a blended family, our kids are with their other biological parents every other weekend. So we always leave Thursday morning and come back Tuesday night (5 nights). We then have the kids Wednesday night (we only miss that first Thurs nite with the kids).

Avon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

Last year was the first time my husband and I went away without our 3 kids since our first was born 7 years before that. We went for 5 nights and it was heaven! It's so easy to get caught up in being a parent that you forget what it is like to be a couple.

We had plans to go away for 6 nights this April, but unfortunately the weather this year hasn't cooperated! Being a teacher, I have to vacation when school is out and we have missed so many days due to hurricane Sandy, snow days, and the blizzard that in order to make up those days they have taken some days away from our week in April. Our 6 night trip has now turned into a 4 night trip. (Thank goodness for trip insurance!) I am just happy to still be able to get away.

My husband and I have decided to try to make it a yearly occurrence, as it so important when you have young kids to remember why you got married in the first place! :-)

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

We try to take an adults-only trip at least once a year, even if only for a long weekend to somewhere not too far from the grandparents. We also try to do a family vacation as well. Last summer, we had a 2-room family suite at Now Jade, so we managed to have some adults-only time as well. (Kids are now 11.5 and 14.)

For the past 2 summers the kids have spent a week with their cousins in SoCal, so they get their own vacations, too. :-) And the 14-year-old is headed to DC on a class trip this Memorial Day weekend.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

We usually take the kids nowadays we did go to Cabo for a week without them in Jan. We are kind of thinking every second year without kids would be ideal and we go for a week. I do feel guilty leaving them with grandparents for so long but my mom insists it's no trouble. They were in a fair snit this year as they know and love Mexico and knew what they were missing.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

7 days in Mexico is guaranteed every year. No guilt what so ever. We go to Florida/Disney every year for the kids and then to Mexico for "us". It's perfect!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How often and for how long do you vacation without the kids?

We did 7-9 nights once a year in Tahiti when the kids were younger... God bless grandparents! Now that they're older, however, they absolutely insist on coming with us. We are going to branch out, however, and start getting two rooms so that there can be some alone time. We're actually doing 1 week in June for our 20th anniversary and booked two platinum suites at the Grand Riviera Princess--one for us, one for the kids :)