We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Maroma

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NE
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Maroma

Just booked a last minute, long weekend trip to El Dorado Maroma so I have been reading a lot of reviews and am excited to hear about some of the changes over the past 3 years. But I do have a few questions:

We will be staying in the Mi Hotelio section, as we did in fall 2009, and are hoping our booking request for 2nd floor w/ king bed is met. Is there someone at the resort I should follow up via email with this request?

I don't recall the pool at the Mi Hotelio section being swim up, is that new?

I love the beach, but need shade and do not like the beds.... I am hoping there are still plenty of chairs and umbrellas or will I have to get up early to play the towel/chair game to get some shade?

Is there any free wifi on the property? Hate to pay $12 a day just to spend less than 15 minutes checking email.

Are reservations for dinner needed? If yes, can they be made before arrival and if so with whom?

Looking to keep my beach side beverage chilled, should I bring an insulated cup?

Is bottled water available beach/poolside or only in the rooms?

Are hobie cats/sunfish included in AI activities?

I am sure I will have more questions, but these are the first to come to mind.

Thanks,

Mare

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Maroma

There are no swim ups in the MH section.

Still plenty of chairs and umbrellas on the beautiful and uncrowded beach. Never had to tolerate the towel game at EDM.

Dinner reservations only needed for special theme nights at Sabores.

No free wifi and we paid 15 USD per day.

Bottled water is available on the beach.

Staff is wonderful and we look forward to our next stay at EDM in a few months.

NE
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Thanks caviagirl!

Good to know about the bottle water and bummer on the wifi. $15 a day?!! Outrageous!

I meant to say that I didn't recall the MH pool having a swim up bar.. is that new or did I just not notice it on my last visit?!

Is it difficult to get reservations for theme dinners? Or can they be made that day?

What about a contact at the resort for room request? And the insulated cups, should I bring them?

Thanks!

Mare

Philadelphia...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Yes swim up bar is actually called 24. Plenty of umbrellas and ask for an bucket of ice. You can use a computer in the lobby to check emails free of charge, at least I did last February. Depending on capacity theme nights should not be an issue. Enjoy, it was our first time last year and really liked the property.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Maroma

We did not bring insulated cups and I cannot recall seeing anyone with them.

Like PTK, we were told we could use computers in lobby free of charge but another frequent guest was told otherwise. I always have my laptop so just bought the wifi option.

No contacts to share.

texas
Level Contributor
851 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Maroma

First of all have a great time. We are going in May for trip #8. The pool in the mi hotelito section has a lways been a swim up...there are about 8 bar stools at it. never a towel game at EDM and plenty of umbrellas on beach...bottled water available at all bars and on beach. Send me a private message and i will give you the contact info you need for special requests. No problem getting a reservation for a theme night if you choose to do that. There are no hobie s there but the kayaks , snorkel eqpt are all included in the AI...feel free to send me any ??? that you have.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Maroma

That was me who told about the lobby computers not being free. Kind of a funny story from our last (#7) visit in Nov. There was a job that I wanted to apply for and I couldn't get my phone to cooperate (we had wifi included in our anniversary package). So I asked if I could get on one of the the lobby computers for just a few minutes and they had 'tried' to charge me. Needless to say, that didn't go over well since the Wifi was included for us and shortly after I was quickly logged in and submitted my application for that job. :-) So yes, they typically charge for the computers in the lobby but maybe you will be lucky!

Also, if you need any further contacts, just PM me and I will send you mine (though I am sure Suzi has the same as I do)

P.S. Suzi, we have other friends that we met on our first visit to the EDM (and we travel down there with quite a bit) trying to get us to join them at the end of May...I so wish DH's job would cooperate! ;-)

Edited: 13 March 2013, 18:52
NE
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Thanks Ladies!

I did PM Suzi for her contact info so I think I am all set; unless she decides not to share :-)

Important question Aka.... did you get the job?!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Unfortunately not...but it certainly hasn't stopped me from trying Mare! :-) I hope you enjoy your trip to the EDM...we probably won't get back for #8 until the fall. DADGUM..Suzi will be beating me soon for # of visits!

NE
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Sorry to hear Aka, better luck next time!

Another couple question for you and the others,

I read in either a review or on the forum that a guest was able to fish off the pier/beach. Is that common? Do you need a license? My husband has a great little travel fishing rod and am wondering if he should bring it?

Are there any floats for the pool or ocean?

And where is Rick's? Is it upstairs above the chinese restaurant? I have a vague recollection of a small bar upstairs, but not sure if this was at EDM or somewhere else?!

Thanks,

Mare

texas
Level Contributor
851 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Mare, I bet they are referring to fishing off peir at marina...im not sure if it costs...but he could always walk down the beach past the marina and fish i bet. Ricks is not above Kiyokos but off to the side of it and upstairs...I just sent you a PM