We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can't decide on a resort. Help!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
can't decide on a resort. Help!

My husband and I are booking for week in April. We're torn between 3 resorts.

Blue Diamond Riviera Maya, eldorado Maroma and Valentin Imperial. If anyone has any feedback who has stayed at one or more of these resorts I would love to hear it. I'm leaning toward the blue diamond the most. My husband is leaning toward the Valentin.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

We've stayed at VIM 3 times and love it. If Secrets Maroma wasn't so much more expensive we'd consider it but we think the VIM beach is just fine & prefer saving the $$$ or stretching our time out there.

I've done little research with Blue Diamond but it looks beautiful. I think the one thing that would turn me off there is the limited dining options. Perhaps the food is so great and diverse it wouldn't be an issue but I'd do plenty of research before booking a longer trip there.

Feel free to ask any specific questions about the VIM, I've uploaded some pictures of the resort as well. Good luck & happy travels!

Edited: 13 March 2013, 19:57
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

I have not stayed at these resorts but through my research, I thought that Blue Diamond and EDM were a step above the Valentin, and the price reflects that step. So you may want to consider the cost difference in these. However, the Valentin is generally touted as being the adults only resort in the Riviera Maya where you get the most bang for your buck and people love it.

What is most important to you? Romance, beach, dining, cost?

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

Oops sorry I mis-read the EDM for SMB (Secrets Maroma Beach) but either way I agree with Texas above, I'm under the impression that both EDM & Blue Diamond are a step above VIM (and should reflect that in the cost per night). Our last visit to VIM was the last week of April last year, we couldn't have picked a better time to be there.

PS-my profile picture was taken from a lounger on the VIM beach, beautiful!

Edited: 13 March 2013, 20:33
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

Cost is a bit of a factor for us. However, I'm more interesting in a resort with beautiful grounds that has a good vibe to it. I'm a little worried that the BD will be too sedate (even if it is gorgeous) The reviews about chair games and dated rooms at the Valentin concern me.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

If you're going in late April the towel games at VIM might not be that bad, we went last year & didn't have a problem finding 4 chairs on the beach or by the pool everyday. Shade was trickier at the beach but we wandered down there later in the afternoon. We wouldn't call the the rooms at VIM dated, they are comfortable/basic to us. We love the vibe at VIM, there are great entertainment options all day & into the evening and the grounds are breathtaking.

EDM looks absolutely stunning as well more intimate/romantic with consistent praise for service and attention to detail. We'd go there in a heartbeat but probably for an anniversary by ourselves as opposed to a birthday celebration with friends, which is what recent travel has been here lately.

Good luck!

Edited: 13 March 2013, 21:44
America, The...
Level Contributor
7,757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

EDM is lovely, but a very sleepy resort. If you are concerned about sedate, it may not be the right choice.

7. Re: can't decide on a resort. Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 04:17