We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us decide

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help us decide

We are planning a trip to Mexico at the end of april and are having a hard time deciding on where to stay. We are traveling with our almost 3 year old and are looking for a family friendly all inclusive. I have done some research and am leaning towards iberostar lindo because of the many amenities for kids: wave pool, water park, lazy river and the reviews rate he beach and the food as nice. This property is also very reasonably priced for all the amenities it offers.

My husband is leaning more towards cancun for its proximity to the airport. He also feels like cancun would be safer. Any safety concerns re: playa del Carmen?

I have not been able to find a property with similar amenities in cancun. There are so many options its a little difficult keeping them straight. Are there any properties in cancun in the same price range that offer similar amenities?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us decide

The Lindo would be a good fit for your family. Its only about 25-30 min from the airport and just as safe as Cancun.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us decide

As far as safety goes. I would rather stay in Playa Del Carmen than Cancun. Actually I would stay anywhere South of Cancun.

Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us decide

Playa definitely safer to me. We always stay away from Cancun. Iberostar Lindo is awesome awesome for kids and for adults. The beach and ocean are gorgeous. The resort itself is gorgeous. You can not go wrong with staying here!!! I highly recommend it. There isn't anywhere in Cancun that comes close!!!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us decide

Like previous posts said, I'd rather go anywhere in Playa del Carmen than Cancun. For a 3 year old you'll find it's more convenient, there are no high rises, it's more peaceful, there are plenty of pools including kid's pools. In Cancun in general I found there's more struggle with finding space to sit by the pool as there are less pools at each hotel but more guests at each hotel, therefore waaay busier. Playa del Carmen hotels are more spread out, large resort areas to wonder - you won't find that in Cancun. I have 2 little kids (now 4 and 7) and since they were little we've only been going south of Cancun (Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras, Puerto Morelos). Travel time from airport is not that much more than to Cancun, with Cancun and hotels being that close together you're probably going to make more stops and spend just as much time getting to your hotel.

Iberostar is a good choice, also look at Iberostar Tucan. Or Grand Palladium - a bit more south of Playa del Carmen - they have a little tiny pool, to the knee for a 2 yr old.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 03:27
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us decide

Please tell your DH his safety concerns suck (I mean unfounded)

Men have a poor sense of safety - mostly because they don't have any facts and go on gut instinct

Cancun - more partiers is likely unsafer with visitors

Playa or anywhere south - more families - thus safer

PS

Cancun is 15-20 minutes north of the airport

Palya - 30 minutes south

Not much a difference

We go south an hour to Akumal - so safe and the best location

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us decide

20 years ago Playa was very small & safe. I have 2 problems with Playa ( even tho we are going in May ). 1st the water is not as blue & hotels are not nearly as close to the water & fewer balconies. 2nd it cost alot to go "off campus" .iberostar lindo will cost $10.00 to $20.00 to go to Playa or Cancun by cab each way.. Now if you do not want to leave the resort I would go to Miami Florida, alot cheaper but not as safe as Cancun & plenty of Spanish speaking people.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us decide

Sea at Cancun more rough than in Playa. We will be traveling to Riviera Maya for fourth time with our kids, last year we brought 3 months old baby, felt very safe.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 17:29
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us decide

Lindo is a great choice with kids. Mine loved it.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us decide

I see multiple families going to the Iberostar Resorts, Grand Palladium and Bahia. All of the resorts are safe. About the only time you see someone get into trouble is when they venture off by themselves.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us decide

The remark about venturing off of the resort strikes me as a bit of fear mongering. I have a fear of being trapped at a resort and I would never have returned so often had this been the case. I'm a woman who "ventures" off all over the place by herself with her DH's blessing and takes the local buses etc. and has for 13 years and trust me.... it's fine. We also go together and both of us are fine touring around places. You do have to take all the same precautions as you would at home. Don't flash cash or jewelry, don't go to certain areas where you will be by yourself, be watchful of your surroundings, don't get fish faced drunk or buy drugs or go off with strange people, don't drive drunk and do your research before you go. These are good ideas no matter where you travel.

I'm sure those are all just common sense precautions that you all follow on a daily basis. Don't leave common sense at home when you are on vacation anywhere and you will be just fine. Love the RM and I feel as safe there as I do in my town outside of Toronto.... with common sense guiding my life here too.

Cancun is very much a big city now. For a family vacation, Playa and the RM all the way. The Iberostar would be a great place for you. Further down the coast are the Palladium and the Barcelo, both great family resorts as well. You might enjoy a one bedroom at the Palladium.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 21:46