We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

Indiana
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????

Minooka, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

How bad?

I liked it.

Indiana
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

I'm going in July but I keep seeing these reviews about how bad the food is, Its hard to get reservations in the restaraunts, Cant get a chair on the beach or around the pool because of all the people putting towels out at 6:00am and no one occuping them for hours, so basicly u have to get up at the crack of Dawn! I am wanting someone to tell me they Have been in July and its not very busy then! lol

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

It would help if we knew what you were talking about. As bad as what??

The IB Del Mar is a wonderful resort. Great beach, fantastic pools, lots of activities, gorgeous grounds, great service.

What makes you think it's bad?!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

I posted the same time as you and then it was too late to edit.

Don't worry about the reviews. We have been there when the resort was at 100% capacity and never had an issue finding chairs or getting restaurant reservations.

Make your reservations as soon as you get there or try emailing about 10 days before your trip to get them.

We are beach people and never had problems finding chairs on the beach. Later in the day we go to the pool and could always find chairs there too. They may not be in your favority "special" spot, but you will find chairs.

Don't worry...the Del Mar is a great resort and you will have a wonderful time.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

I read the latest del mar reviews and most of the gripes can be attributed to people either expecting way more than what the resort offers, or just not doing enough research.

Its spring break time and many, many resorts that typically get great reviews, get a few bad ones during this time. During spring break buses of guests show up at the same time on the same day. there will be long lines at the check in counter, check in time is not until 3 so if you arrive early expect to have to wait for your rooms. I cant imagine what that reviewer was wearing if they were turned away at the buffet. Basically you have to be dry and covered so if her coverup did not cover her 'areas" good for the resort for actually enforcing a rule. And as far as making a reservation for 2 and expecting 4 to get a table with out some kind of issue is ridiculous. And, the kicker was the fact they only got a few "Im sorry's" for their trouble. The whole situation was their fault! the resort didnt even owe them an Im sorry for that matter.

In other words, no, I dont think the del mar is that bad.

PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

I agree with the previous posters. We stayed at the del mar in 2006 and we are going back in May. We loved it. I would not have gone at spring break though. . We thought the food was good and drinks were the best of any AI we have ever stayed. Beaches were beautiful. Never had a problem getting a chair. May not be the best spot but we always got one.

You also can't let one worker ruin your vacation. We go with a laid back style and just relax. So no the del mar is not bad. We would not return if it was.

Chicago Il.
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

We stayed there in August of 2008 after previously staying at the Lindo. My kids loved the resort and we never had a problem getting chairs. We would however not return to the Beach/DelMar only because of the non air conditioned buffets and it was hard to get reservations for dinner. To me it is worth the extra $$ to stay at the Lindo/Maya.

Mike

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

2beonthebeach:

I stayed at the Iberostar T/Q, which is on par with the Del Mar. The hotel has signs stating "no reserving" around the pool area, however the staff will only enforce the rule if another guest makes takes action.

We get to the pool area between 10:00 AM and 11:30 AM, find the loungers we want (always reserved), ask the people around the loungers if they have seen anyone using the loungers (if the answer is no), we call over the pool waitress and have her take the towels or items away. Not once in the entire vacation did anyone come back for their towels.

Not sure, but I imagine it is the same, the buffets are good not great. The ala cartes are exceptional with first class service.

You can easily get 3 reservations for each 7 day stay in advance by email or at the customer service kiosk. However, you can have as many reservations as you like by tipping the customer service person. I think a lot of the people that have problems getting reservations forget to tip.

You will have a great trip, the Iberostar's are first class.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 16:45
Ohio
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

We stayed at the Paraiso Beach last year and really liked it. We weren't there at the busiest time but the service was great, food good and never had a problem around the pool or at the beach with finding a lounge chair. I am sure the Del Mar is very good too as they share alot of the areas including restaurants.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is The Iberostar Del Mar That Bad??????????

I noticed that a couple of those "bad" reviews were written by one time posters. Must have a grudge against the resort.