We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Looking to book a girls get away for myself, friend and her 23 year old daughter for 6 days. These 2 are very close in price. I have been to Cancun but never Playa so I am not familiar and they have not been to Mexico. I want them to love it as much as I do.

We would want nice pool area, beautiful beech views, little entertainment but mostly relaxation and hopefully spa services. I would like the option to go to Playa since I've never been. I like the all-adult idea but it's not a deal breaker as none of us have little kids we are escaping however this is over Memorial Day weekend so I am some what concerned that a lot of families will travel.

Also is the water as beautiful in this area as in the hotel zone? I have stayed at Moon Palace and loved it but really missed the beauty of the water in the hz.

Any input would be appreciated.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
396 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I have only ever stayed at Riu Palace, not Secrets so I can't compare but I have been to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen and I have to say IMO the water is far more beautiful and the beaches nicer in Playa.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Thank that's great to hear.

Anybody have input on the 2 resorts??

illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Just got back from The RIU Palace Mexico and we visited the RIU PALACE RM one day for lunch and drinks and we were happy we chose the RPM instead of this one...RPRM has a mexican feel but the Palace has just been remodeled and opened back up and is GORGEOUS!! Alot prettier that the Riviera MAya, but it's all based on what you are after. We wanted nice beach, amazing food, and quiet relaxing time....we got it ALL Plus were very spoiled. The staff was unbelievable! Check out my review of it. After visiting RPRM You will have a great time though, especially in Playa.....the beaches are amazing!!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Thank that's great to hear.

Anybody have input on the 2 resorts??

Trevor,WI
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I stayed at Capri 2 years ago and loved it. I am leaving for RPM Saturday. So I can compare when I get back!

This being said, I really enjoyed the size of Capri, very small and quaint. Had a great ocean view, great food, hot tub. It was kind of slow and relaxed at night. My wife prefers a larger resort with more nightlife. That's why we are going to RPM. I get a small, high end resort and she gets the big resort feelin. I have read that Riu Tequila gets lively at night. I can hardly wait!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I have not been to either resort but I understand the beach at Capri is not very nice. Overall, I think the Secrets brand is going to be more refined that the Riu Palace brand. Something you may want to research - Riu has a cumbersome a la carte reservation process. I'm not sure if it is the same at their "Palace" resorts.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Yes, palace properties have same dinner reservation system. We didn't have long lines when we were at riu palace peninsula, but many people have complained about lines.

Having stayed at secrets many times (not capri though) and riu palace once, i would stay at whichever is cheaper. There are little differences like reservations and wearing bracelets, but both were really good. In this case, i would say choose RPRM because of the beach and i would pay more if i had to. Doubt riu will ne more, however. If kids are a no-no, consider secrets maroma or iberostar grand, but you definitely will pay more for these two. There is a price for getting it all.

Edited: 21 March 2013, 10:11
Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

We have stayed at SC and it is small and intimate has good food and service. Beach is not that great and the water color not very good at all. Just returned from the Royal Hideaway which is located right near the Riu Palace and the beach there is much much nicer.Have stayed at a Riu Palace but not in Mexico and food and service is on par with Secrets , but we do prefer Adults only . You have selected two good resorts so either way you will enjoy your vacation.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Thanks everyone. We chose Riu Palace. Super excited!

10. Re: Secrets Capri or Riu Palace Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:15