We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bad reviews

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
bad reviews

Why is it now Sandos |Caracol seems to be getting a lot of bad reviews , when i booked this hotel everthing was good , should i now be worried . Still makes me think about changing , what should i do ??????

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bad reviews

I would never change my plans based on Tripadvisor. Just saying.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bad reviews

I always look at how much time someone spends on tripadvisor - if they've done one review ever, then they probably didn't research what the hotel was going to be like before they went. If all their reviews are bad, then they are probably someone that is hard to please.

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bad reviews

Not always true KYMichelle. A person that is satisfied will tell far less people, or in this case write a review, than the person that is not satified. I know I am that way. I have 2 reviews on Tripadvisor about resorts that I was not happy with but none about the other 8 great times. Both of the bad were probably my fault for trying something new instead of going with what I like but they were honest reviews.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bad reviews

Nothing. Always folks complain about stuff you don't even care about. Have fun!

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bad reviews

I have seen them too and I am not worried even though I am going there next week!

One of the comments was that the reviewer did not get a map of the resort when he checked in...oh come on, that cracked me up:)

st louis
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bad reviews

I too am getting a bit worried but these posts do remind me to keep it all in perspective. I did sooo much research before pulling the trigger and now we cant change. This is our 1st AI and our 1st trip to Mexico and we've been saving for a long time to make is happen. I'm going to still go in with a pos attitude and we are pretty low maint folks, so Im hoping it's all for naught.

Le Roy, New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bad reviews

Stayed at Sandos Caracol a few years ago with my two young boys. They had a great time and my 5 year old still remembers it even though he was only two at the time. The Sandos Caracol was a fine resort. It is not five stars or over the top fancy, but it is a great value. Make sure you learn the layout of the resort because it can seem like a lot of walking depending where your room is, but if find out the shortcuts you'll be fine. The grounds are beautiful and you definitely get an authentic Mexican feel. I am not a food snob, I thought the buffets were more than adequate and had good selections. The a la cartes were quite good, no complaints. Don't worry about bad reviews, you'll see bad reviews for even the top ranked resorts in the world. Some people get off on the wrong foot and can't shake their bad mood.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bad reviews

Don't worry about strangers opinions. Keep an open mind and realize you get what you pay for.

There is a common factor in 80% of bad reviews and that is people's expectations are bigger than their wallets.

You're in Playa Del Carmen for friggs sakes HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!!!!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bad reviews

There are a 5*, then there are FIVE STAR. There is a difference. Unfortunately this rating system is very misleading in Mexico where, for example, Secrets Is rated same as Caracol or even Oasis. When you pay about 1/2 price for a seemingly same category resort, and if it seems too good to be true, it is. You always get what you pay for.

I would rate Caracol as a solid 3.5 star, to be realistic. Nothing wrong with it, and it is priced accordingly. It is a decent place, good food (but not gourmet), satisfactory service (but not Ritz), nice comfy rooms (think HoJo, not Four Seasons). However some folks when they see a 5* in a brochure, they do expect a Ritz experience and disappointed when facts sink in.

Edited: 23 March 2013, 05:39
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bad reviews

alot of people just like to complain, like " I do not like the configuration of the pool !!" Wawa & this was at the Royal. Give me a break. You will all have a great time.