We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bad reviews

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
bad reviews

Why is it now Sandos |Caracol seems to be getting a lot of bad reviews , when i booked this hotel everthing was good , should i now be worried . Still makes me think about changing , what should i do ??????

Keswick, Ontario...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: bad reviews

We are going there in 3 weeks and I am not worried. Just go with a positive attitude and don't sweat the small stuff. The people who write the bad reviews are letting little things bother them and they are probably just hard to please people in general. Have fun!!! It's YOUR vacation so it will be a good as you make it!!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
626 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: bad reviews

We just returned on Thursday. I haven't had time to do my review yet, but it will be positive. You have nothing to worry about. Some people just have a tendency to complain and let things bother them. You have to be flexible and go with the flow. I requested a renovated room, second or third floor with a king size bed. I got 2 out of 3. I'm sure I could have changed rooms if I had asked, and if I was inclined to, I could now complain about my room on here. But was it that big of a deal? Nope. We had a great time and so will you. BTW, I was given a map. But I had also printed one off the Internet before I left just in case. I can't remember where I found it, but it was a link I found on TA.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
456 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: bad reviews

Seems most reviews this time of year are not good. Suspect crowds of Spring Breakers might have something to do with it. On the positive side, reading bad reviews tend to lower expectations so travelers in the coming months will tend to be surprised at how much they enjoyed themselves.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
36 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: bad reviews

Always take reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes the weather alone can make a resort seem not as enjoyable where really they had nothing to do with the crummy weather. I stayed at Sandos Caracol previously and the food was awesome, the beach was superb but the bugs were nasty at night (we went in January). Overall I was totally pleased and would recommend it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: bad reviews

I've noticed the unfavorable reviews as well. I'm more in line with TacoPants thinking. There are people who want a 5 star experience but don't want to pay for it.

We've been to Caracol twice. First time in Feb/12....stayed in a RE penthouse room. LOVED IT. Had a wonderful time and within a few weeks of being home we booked trip #2 for Nov/12. This time we stayed in the Select Club section.....again penthouse room. LOVED IT. In Feb /13, we were traveling with friends who wanted to try a different resort. We stayed at a 5 star adult only resort.......LOVED IT but missed Caracol!! So much so that trip #3 to Caracol is booked for Nov/13 and we will be staying in the RE section once again. We just can't get over the views.....that water.......

Now to my point......your expectations have to match the room or category that you have booked and if you want an experience with some extra special touches, you have to be willing to pay for it. That being said, if we were still traveling with children, we would likely have booked in the family section and would have been more than happy with our experience as our expectations would have been different. I have friends who have stayed in the family section with their kids and have had fabulous vacations. I even know a couple who have stayed multiple times in the family section and keep on coming back to the family section. Their expectations match what they are willing to pay.

To those who are now questioning your choice.......go with an open mind and a smile on your face. You are about to be surrounded by the beauty of nature, beautiful grounds, good food, good drinks, beautiful people who are there to help you make the most of your vacation experience, oh and that water......that blue blue water.............

What you give out is often what you get right back. To my friends at Caracol who work so tirelessly and many times without very much thanks......see you soon! Counting the days............. :)

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: bad reviews

I am going to chime in on the debate here, as both a travel agent and as a repeat guest to Sandos Caracol. This property is a unique property in the Riviera Maya given its commitment to eco-tourism and demonstrating authenticity in its tribute to Mayan history. I agree that many of the negative reviews lately are from people having inflated and unrealistic expectations in regards to what they should receive and what amenities they should expect. For instance, one of the latest reviews complains that drink service to the room was not available. Now really, from a 4+ Apple resort, and taking into consideration what you pay for the resort, do you really think the staff are going to deliver you a couple margaritas to the room. Now, if you are staying at Zoetry or Iberostar Grand at $1000 per night then maybe that is a reasonable request. The same goes with the rooms. If you want a high end luxurious room, then pay for it. Book an Oceanfront Superior in the RE section or Select Club section if that is what you truly want. Don't book a standard and expect and upgrade just because. The same with alcohol - if you want high end premium alcohol, then book an upgraded room category or book another resort.

People are frustrated with keys not working. Well, that is because they are getting de-magnitized. We had the same problem in December, with multiple trips to the front desk to get keys to work. We finally realized my beach bag had a magnet, and our friend's sunglasses had magnets to attach to his prescription glasses. Both were stripping the cards. I had the same problem at Dreams resorts and Bahia, so it isn't the resorts fault.

Also, if you don't want to be surrounded by children at Caracol, stay in the Select Club areas. This resort is a family centred resort. I wasn't sure how this would work for Adults Only, so in April 2012 we returned, just my husband and I and stayed in the Select Club. We ate breakfast and lunch at the Brazilian restaurant, and dinners at a la cartes can be centred around the adults only nights. So yes, you do have to eat at the main buffet a couple evenings, but plan to go later in the evening when not so many young children are present. We also found eating in the tucked off room in the main buffet to be quieter than the main central area.

The other problem is people over inflating the problems, just looking for problems or compensation. If you go looking to complain, you could find lots, blow it up and let it ruin your vacation. There is absolutely no way that the Xcalacoco shows are amateurish. These shows are professionally done and highly entertaining. If guests don't like these shows, clearly they are impossible to please. Yes, some of the theatre shows at night may be a bit tame, but come on, you are not going to Mexico to see a broadway production. Take it for what it is and enjoy! The hundreds of children who are guests at Caracol LOVE the Disney show and take pride in getting to participate via the kids club.

Yes, there can be an odor near the river area, but that is because of the mangrove trees, not because of sewage. We had the same smell in the bio-lumenecent bays in Puerto Rico.

We visited this property three times last year because it fits the needs of both our family vacation and our adult only trip in April. It is frustrating that people do not do their research prior to going. It is also frustrating that travel agents may not represent the property for what it is.

However, the latest review is by someone who has given poor reviews to the other properties he has visited, again, likely because of inflation expectations.

Look at the reviews, see how many contributions the person has made before judging how much credence to give t the reviewer. And then really look at what the people are complaining about. Are these issues that are a deal breaker for your family?

I still continue to support this hotel in their endeavors. They are slowly re-inventing the hotel and are truly carving out a nice niche in the Riviera Maya.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
230 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: bad reviews

Rubyq, heads down! Your response is great!!! Too bad, there is no LIKE button to click:)

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: bad reviews

Thanks Dukielka. It is frustrating. Now I am combining my next trip with Iberostar Grand for 4 nights and Sandos Caracol for 3. Am I going to expect the same from both resorts, absolutely not. People need to curb their grandiose expectations of the resorts. And take some ownership in your experience. Attitude goes a long way in ensuring a vacation has good memories.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: bad reviews

Thanks everybody for your help , you have eased my mind , im not a fussy person , but when you spend so much for your holiday you always want everthing to be good . I will go with an open mind and (hopefully ) have the time of my life . i still have to wait until 8th September , so i might see some of you out there x

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: bad reviews

That's another "like" for Rubyq's reply - Strongly agree that people who don't do enough research are often disappointed and they also have unrealistic expectations of what they are going to get for their money. Also the old saying "0ne man's meat is another man's poison" is so true! You can't please all of the people all of the time!! We once stood in a queue at the airport behind a man who was moaning about how awful his hotel stay was and how bad the food was etc and he had been in the same hotel as us and we thought the food and hotel was amazing! (and we are frequent travellers)

You don't say, Sadie whether this is your first trip to Mexico or not - but if it is it will probably blow your socks off and spoil you for other all inclusives in other parts of the globe. Mexico IMHO comes out high on my "must go back" scale - you will love it.

W x

Edited: 23 March 2013, 22:17