We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us avoid shark attacks?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Help us avoid shark attacks?

We have never been to Mexico & I've read a lot of posts about timeshare sharks in the airport. Some lady said that they asked her to stop as they needed to see her papers to know where she was staying.. well I'm pretty naive & would have stopped to hear out why but obviously now I'll be on guard more. What kind of things can we expect them to wear/say to get us to stop? Thanks in advance.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Not really a big deal, once you are through customs just head straight outside. No one you need to talk to will be inside- only outside. For the remainder of your trip a simple no gracias and smile should do it. They are not nearly as aggressive as Cabo:)

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,401 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Have to agree with Deana: avoid making any eye contact, or of course smiling or gesturing or anything else potentially viewed as interactive or receptive in terms of body language. You can also say just "Gracias" in a kind of flat or bored tone to explicitly signal your disinterest, like Mexicans do, as you continue to walk by in this otherwise completely non-interactive mode. You will not be bothered further. Works all the time.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I think what Jwilbourn said sums my initial concerns exactly - I didn't want to be ignoring any official airport staff, then end up in a holding room somewhere for not co-operating. (Ive watched maybe too much holidays from hell!) Now I can spot their tactics and am aware that there is really no one 'official' likely to stop me leaving the airport I will take all your tips on board. Muchas gracias!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I'm always surprised when people worry about this, these folks are just trying to make a living, I'm never less than polite, a simple no gracias with a smile and I keep walking. When I'm traveling on my own I'm never botherd, just when my husband and I are together.

My husband did get pulled in by a couple guys at the Mega grocery and questioned why anyone would not want a free trip to the ruins, I finished getting my groceries and practiacally had to unlatch him from them.

My normal answer to the time share guys in town is, sorry,I'm leaving tomorrow.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 13:55
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I agree with the above. Unless you've given someone a reason to literally stop you, why would anyone stop you? If you aren't smuggling, haven't stole a piece of baggage, or comitted any crime, there is no reason for someone to stop you. A timeshare shark will never, EVER lay a hand on you. If, however, a person in authoirty wants you for something and you ignore them, don't worry - they'll stop you, physically. therefore it's moot.

The flip side of the timeshare sharks and *some* of their unscrupulous tactics are the bottom feeders that chime in here from time to time looking to gain freebies by expressly attending the timeshare presentations with no intention whatsoever of buying. In my opinion, *these* are the people that deserve a lot more condemnation that the people trying to make a living.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I agree with Bella about stopping .... but I've seen timeshare people at the airport in very official-looking uniforms and, in Puerto Vallarta at least, they have been known to ask to see passports. It is easy to understand how the uninformed, or perhaps any person who is new to international travel, can fall for this ruse.

As noted though, the crux of the matter is recognizing the situation. So long as you realize what the "shark tank" is and what it's all about, it's a breeze.

I agree with other posters that there's no need to be rude ... unless they start it! It was a few years ago now but I had a timeshare guy step right in front of me in the shark tank. As per conventional wisdom, I just ignored him and tried to walk around - but he sidestepped and blocked me a second time. That was when I discovered that the "f bomb" needs no translation!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,296 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

" A timeshare shark will never, EVER lay a hand on you."

One did in Cabo, to me....my husband and I were walking by the marina and they were pestering us (like they did all week there, it was nonstop, never again will I go to Cabo and stay in CSL, terrible trip due to them!). We hate timeshare sharks and would never waste vacation time doing a presentation. We did the flat, disinterested "No, Gracias." and we were walking away when the guy actually grabbed my arm and yanked me slightly back toward him. I just about lost it, but just yanked my arm back and reiterated the 'no gracias' even more firmly and walked off. He and his buddy were yelling something obviously rude in Spanish after us for a bit. Crazy!

We have never had an experience remotely like that anywhere else. They are the worst in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. I prefer vacationing in places where there aren't any, or hardly any.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 14:47
38. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:15