We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pool floats?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pool floats?

I've read several times now that people bring blow up pool floats with them. Do you use them in the ocean, or in the pool? If in the pool, is it ever too crowded?

Do they have these at the Walmart in PDC to buy there?

Okanagan, BC
Level Contributor
267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pool floats?

We have traveled many times with pool floats, from the standard mattress to inflatable chairs. They can be either for the ocean on calmer days and the pool. Most pools are not too crowded to use them, keep in mind there are always peak times in the pool that it may become too crowded. Check with the entertainment staff or the towel cabana for a pump to inflate them. We always donate them to the entertainment staff, kids clubs, or to newly arriving guests and ask them to pass it on at the end of their week. It saves bringing them home. There is a dollar store near us that we get them from cheap, however Playa del Carmen and Puerto Vallarta have Walmart and Sam's club to purchase them reasonably.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pool floats?

Bringing your own pool float to lounge in the sun sounds like a great solution to the dreaded towel game. ;)

United States
Level Contributor
187 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pool floats?

Do they have these at the Walmart in PDC to buy there?

Yes...

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pool floats?

Plenty of pool toys at Wal-Mart and other stores. I would NOT use them in the ocean.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pool floats?

We take ours, mostly because I don't have a need to go to Walmart so I don't want to make a special trip just for a pool float.

We also take a cheap, light raft blower upper. We bring the manual one most of the times, although last year we did take a battery powered one because we had 7 rafts to blow up and it was just easier. Still small though. Both easily fit in side pocket of a duffle bag.

We take the raft inflator because we were having a hard time finding anywhere on the resorts to inflate them, and when the workers could do it, they were doing it by mouth and I felt bad, crap I could blow up my own raft by mouth if I wanted to but that's a lot of work on exercise. It's just easier to bring our own. Well worth the $5 :)

Oh and we float in the pool and sea, its great.

Never crowded, but we go after Easter and usually pick bigger resorts for more space and choice. We stay AI but looking to change hubby's mind on that!

We too leave them there when we are leaving. Always seems to be more then a few ppl happy to take them :)

Happy travels

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pool floats?

The primary reason not to use inflatable toys in the ocean (besides all the very convincing safety reasons that make the former lifeguard in me want to yell) is that they frequently get away from people, especially when there's wind. The oceans do not need any more trash.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pool floats?

That is very true Mark. Honestly I had never even thought of it, but none of my rafts have ever got away from me, which is redundant though because I leave them there :(

Hummm

I've seen the trash on some deserted beaches and the iron shores along the coast. I most certainly do not want to add to that....

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pool floats?

I bring a piece of clothesline cord with a hook on it and attach it to the roped off swimming area and the pillow portion of the float. . It's short enough not to get in anyone's way and it prevents me from floating off to parts unknown. Also I never lose my float. I always bring them from home and buy them at the end of the season when they're on sale. I found that even Walmart there is much more expensive than here. Also the scuba people will blow them up for you but I get the kind that roll up and they don't take much air at all. At the end of my visit I always leave it for someone else to enjoy.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 21:53
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pool floats?

Last trip I got a $10 float at Wal Mart that was like a big pool noodle, but it was filled with pellets which made it more flexible. I'm over 250# and it held me up just fine. Dries quickly and takes up very little room in the suit case.

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pool floats?

my kids and wife always laugh at me as at the end of the day I have tube bum as I spend my days floating from one of the pool to the other. I love also riding the waves in the sea. I have never lost one (never even thought of that). Most resorts have a pump somewhere to blow them up but we spend a few minutes blowing ours up on the first day by mouth and then just add a bot of air as the week goes on. We usually leave them with some other new guest to enjoy when we leave and I buy new ones at the end of the season at wal mart or the dollar store for a couple of dolalrs.