We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

My family frequently travels to the Playa Del Carmen area. We have stayed at The Royal about 6 times and love it. I was so tempted to book mine and my fiancee's honeymoon there, because I am a creature of habit and knew we wouldn't be disappointed. However, my family convinced me to try somewhere different and book the only other place I considered - Secrets Maroma. I always wondered why it has been #1 on Trip Advisor for so long. The reviews make the place sound like heaven, so me and my fiancee decided to take a chance and book 2 weeks there.

As a result of spending more money on our honeymoon than we budgeted for, I decided to go with the standard junior suite partial ocean view room. I am starting to have regrets and wondering if we should have booked at least an ocean view. Having a clear view of the ocean is nice, but not very important for us. I just don't want to be stuck with a room far away from all of the main areas. I tried calling the company that we booked with to see if we can upgrade, and they said that in order to do this, we would have to cancel and then re-book our vacation.... another $1300 after all of the cancellation fees!! No way!!

Those that have been to Secrets Maroma, are we going to be disappointed with a standard room? Please advise!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

We had booked a similar room category from what I can remember (a few years ago). They gave us a room in the main busing, top floor. At first I was disappointed, but then we got to our room. We were not Preferred, yet we had a HUGE balcony with a soaking tub. Because we were in the main building, we were also able to pick up the free wifi from the lobby. And the view was amazing! We could look out over the whole resort and see the ocean. I wouldn't have traded that room with anyone. We also liked the location being close to most of the restaurants, lobby, theater, disco.......

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to pay extra to upgrade just to have a great room and location.

toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

The room you received (with an amazing view of the ocean) doesn't sound like it was standard. It sounds like you were really lucky! I can only pray that this happens to us. The last thing I want is be stuck in a room for two weeks that we don't like, simply because the resort is at full capacity and we don't have any other choice. We arrive the first week of August, so hopefully the resort won't be too busy.

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
361 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

We had the same room--standard ocean view, and were thrilled. You won't be too far away from anything. The funny by thing is that we booked the Royal for my 40th birthday trip this July, having stayed at Secrets Maroma last year. We would have booked SMB in a second, but the price difference was $1000. I've been having panicky feelings wondering if I should cancel The Royal! You've set my mind at ease, and I hope I can do the same for you. You will not be disappointed with SMB!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

Ist look at your room when you get there, then think about or look at an upgrade, then decide

5. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 15:52
Edited: 30 March 2013, 15:52
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,455 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

Hi

To get a good feel for the resort you may want to check out my slideshow of it which is best viewed in full screen mode as this way you will see the photo labels

slickpic.com/u/…

From an upper floor in any building you will be able to see the ocean but for a full on ocean view you need to be in one of the premier preferred club suites

Finally, if I were you I would not used the company you booked through again as you should be able to upgrade your room type without the need to cancel and rebook

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

Sungirl,

Hopefully you have found a layout of the property.

You mentioned: "Having a clear view of the ocean is nice, but not very important for us. I just don't want to be stuck with a room far away from all of the main areas. "

With Secrets, the main areas and restaurants are not near the beach.

An ocean front will mean you are close to the beach, but will walk back to the restaurants.

A suite close to the restaurants will mean a walk to the beach.

If you decide that you do not want to spring for an ocean front, or Preferred (top floor) so that you can see out to the ocean, in August, when it will be hot, perhaps a swim-out with a nice patio???

Since we are not doing ocean front, or preferred, we decided that the patio might be preferable to us than, for example, a 2nd floor room without any real view of the ocean.

toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

Scoutie9, I can't compare SMB to The Royal since I haven't gone to SMB yet, but I can say that it is a great place to celebrate a milestone birthday. The location is unbeatable... right by 5th Avenue! The food is delicious, the rooms are luxurious, and the beach is beautiful.

flipflop_man, thank you for the link! I will definitely check it out soon! When I get there, I will indeed request a room higher up.

Wishingonastar, right now, we have only booked a standard partial ocean view. I heard the swim-up suites are beautiful, but many also said that it may not be worth the extra money. We are on a budget, so if I don't need to upgrade, I would rather not!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

I have had both type of rooms and loved them both. Use any extra money for a spa treatment or excursion. You will not be disappointed. It is a lovely resort.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked Secrets Maroma for honeymoon... one regret

It couldn't hurt to mention that it is your honeymoon upon arrival and that you are a Royal fan but, you have heard so many good things about SMB.