We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment Authorization Form

Kansas City
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Payment Authorization Form

I know this has been discussed in the past but by reading the thread I did not see a clear cut answer.

I booked through the Royal Playa Del Carmen website yesterday for a vacation coming up. Last night I received a email telling me I had to complete a Payment Authorization Form along with a copy of my passport or drivers license in order to complete the reservation. If I did not do so my trip would be in jeopardy.

I've traveled to Mexico countless times and to the Royal once before and have never had to do this. The representative tells me this in a new Mexican law.

This sounds EXTREMELY fishy to me and I am not going to complete the request. Is this as I am thinking, Another Timeshare Scam?

Please advise

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment Authorization Form

Sounds quite strange to me. I have not had to do that. When did the "law" change?

Kansas City
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment Authorization Form

Agreed. In reading the fine print of the document, it gives them the right to transfer and or share my data with other companies.

Thus I have cancelled my reservations.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 17:30
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment Authorization Form

You said you cancelled your reservations. So did you already have it booked and confirmed before that request came?

I wouldn't have cancelled my reservations, but I wouldn't have given them that information either. This was discussed here before and I think the majority agreed it was asking a bit too much for a copy of your driver's license and passport to be faxed or mailed ahead of time. Just too risky for identity theft. I would have told them I will show them upon check in.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment Authorization Form

I just took a look at their website and wondered why payment in full is needed booking months in advance. As I went further into the details, it looks as if you are not booking directly with the resort but with a "middle man". So now your personal information could be in anyone's hands. Too risky. I don't know why anyone would actually provide this information or how the company gets away with even asking for it.

Kansas City
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment Authorization Form

The charge as it appeared on my Amex pending purchases shows BestDay as in BestDay.com. I did get the number for them, they were able to pull up my reservation and again asked for me to sign my forms. I told the agent Amex has authorized my purchase, I would not sign the form and that it clearly states my data can be shared.

He insisted that I would have to sign and if not they would have cancel . Of course now i just have to check my account balance until all is resolved but their loss is some else's gain.

Kansas City
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payment Authorization Form

The charge as it appeared on my Amex pending purchases shows BestDay as in BestDay.com. I did get the number for them, they were able to pull up my reservation and again asked for me to sign my forms. I told the agent Amex has authorized my purchase, I would not sign the form and that it clearly states my data can be shared.

He insisted that I would have to sign and if not they would have cancel . Of course now i just have to check my account balance until all is resolved but their loss is some else's gain.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payment Authorization Form

Try booking with a travel agent

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payment Authorization Form

We used Expedia for the Royal in Cancun and had no issues. There are plenty of companies that will take your business and I bet a few even come out cheaper than booking with that website.

I'd also call Amex and alert them, put in a dispute, just in case. I wouldn't count on this BestDay to cancel.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 20:40
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Payment Authorization Form

BestDay is a travel agent.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payment Authorization Form

If Best Day is a travel agent then it's time to find a different travel agent. I would never share that kind of information ahead of time in this age of identity theft.