We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

Heading to Playa in 4 weeks! We've been to Cancun but have never been to Isla Mujeres..we are planning on doing it this time. Is it better to do an organized tour through a company, or to catch the ferry and go around the island on your own? My main concern is that I've heard they have great snorkeling around the area and was wondering if these areas were accessible on your own of if they were areas that you need to be taken out to by boat. Other than snorkeling, what other things are there to see/do on the island?? Any input would be appreciated!!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

You can easily do it yourself. Rent a golf cart to see the island. Boats will pick you up right on the north beach and take you snorkeling. The North Beach is spectacular. The main part of town is pretty small and easy to walk.

Check out the Trip Advisor forum for Isla Mujeres to get the most up to date information. MNhasSnow just got back and she should respond to your thread shortly.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

Take a look over on the Isla Mujeres forum for sure. The people over there are so helpful.

For sure do this on your own!

We did it in August and I fell in love with Isla. Rent a golf cart and go around the entire island.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

Don't pay extra for someone to show you things you may not want to see, rush you through ones you do want to see, etc. It's easily a DYI. Get there early to ensure golf cart rental. And as they said-read the forum tips.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1229340-i12413-k6…

here are some tips to get you started!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

Easy, cheap ( for the area ) & fun. Catch the bus in Playa at Av Benito Juarez between 5th & tenth. Cost 52 pesos - $4.22 US. Then take a taxi to Puerto Juarez - GRAN PUERTO - 2 maybe 3 dollars. You can also continue on 2 miles for a small Maya ruin called El Meco. Get back catch the ferry over ti Isla. Rent a motor bike or golf cart ( suggest the glof cart). Watch out for the giant speed bumps. Must have a liscence with you, take pictures of the cart on all sides ( just a precaution ). Having a Mapchick map helps but it's pretty cut & dry, 1 big loop, it's an island you canot get lost for to long. Head South. Lots to do, pirate house, turtle sanctuary ( donation I think ) snorkling at Garrofon Park ( entry fee ) the small ruin at the south end with restauurant & a couple of shops. Fee unless you go to Garafon Park. Coming back on the the Shell House, Return the cart for 1/2 day rate, maybe. Lunch, shop, grave yard, beach. Return home same way.. Have a great time I have about 61/2 weeks, yea!!!!

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

Think the taxi may be closer to $5-6 now Bruce. 39 days for me - yes!

Turtle farm is about $3pp, $1 extra if you want to buy food for them.

Garrafon de Castillo is $5-6pp entry fee, they rent snorkel gear, have lockers and cold water showers and restrooms as well as a snack bar (handy so my non-snorkeling hubby could have a beer or two).

Denver
Level Contributor
469 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

We have gone over a couple of times, on our own. I like to be free to do whatever I want to do and leave area when we are ready to go on. Both times we rented a golf cart stopped at several places, then ended our day at the north beach. My family and I love the north beach. I think next time we will skip the golf cart and spend the day at north beach.

8. Re: Isla Mujeres: Best to do organized tour or go alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 05:16