We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pemboke, ON
Level Contributor
113 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Hey there, I know some people may be sick of seeing me post questions about Riviera Maya but its our first time traveling there and the response/help has been fantastic so far!!

Next query - We would like to visit the Chichen Itza ruin, I know its possible to take a cab there, but how much would it cost (roughly) and how far is it? We dont want to be tied up in a day long tour but instead would prefer to go in the morning on our own time before its crazy busy, see the sites, get back to the resort, and have the afternoon on the beach/in the ocean. Thought a taxi would be the most convenient way to do it, and possibly cheaper than a tour tailored just to us? Any insite into this would be MUCH appreciated (as all of the other help has been)!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,988 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

You need to accept a few realities. The drive time is about 2.5-3 hours each way. Let us assume three hours for a total of six hours just driving. Add in three hours at C. Itza for a total of nine hours. You are very close to Ik Kil cenote so add another 1.5 hours.

We are at 10.5 hours (plus/minus). Can you leave at 700 AM? That means you get back at 530 PM. It is an all day event.

One place that I use for a pricing sample is here

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/tour.asp…

Looks like about $320 USD for a private tour for two. I suppose that you can find others to leave from the PDC area or use this as a upper price for a taxi.

Pemboke, ON
Level Contributor
113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

This is the info I was looking for, many thanks!! I actually realized after I posted here (after doing some google earth browsing) that it was a fair distance drive, maybe something to do, maybe not, who knows

Pemboke, ON
Level Contributor
113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Next question, are there any ruins worth seeing closer to Playa?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,991 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

ADO buses also run there but a big bus tour is similar

Coba ruins are recommended and about 90 minutes depending on mode of travel

40-45 minutes to Tulum / same time then to Coba

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

are there any ruins worth seeing closer to Playa? Absolutely.

Coba is a really interesting site - jungly, spread out, you can climb up on the main temple, the site is next to a large lake, which is unique in this area.

Tulum is south of Playa - it is a smaller site, but its location on some cliffs overlooking the sea is magnificent.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Another vote here for Coba. One of my favorite sites and much closer to Playa.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,988 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Here is one way to get to Coba:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k37121…

Check with ticketbus.com.mx for current schedule of buses to Coba

If you prefer a tour, check Yucatreks and Edventures. There may be more tour guide options.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

We rent a car (from Isis Playa del Carmen), drive to Piste, stay overnight at the Mayaland or Villas Arqueologicas, visit the ruins right after breakfast, and leave as the bus crowds are descending and the heat is becoming unbearable. We cool off in the pool, then drive to Playa del Carmen stopping for lunch along the way before dropping off the car and catching the ferry to Cozumel where we belong.

I'd really hate to try to visit Chichen Itza as a day trip from Playa del Carmen. I have done a trip to both Tulum and Coba on the same day and find it more manageable.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Its not complicated at all to get from Playa to Coba. About 7 first and second class buses every morning. Just board the bus at Playa and get off at Coba. Very easy.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi - Chichen Itza Ruins from Playa

Mark - That is exactly what we did for our visit to Chichen. Highly recommend spending a night close to the site and then seeing Chichen first thing. The Mayaland is a good choice. Also Valladolid is a nice town and would make for a good overnight.