We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mozzies/sandflies

fife
Level Contributor
618 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
mozzies/sandflies

When we stayed at gran bahia principe,riviera maya last year my hubby was bitten quite a lot. We wore citronella wrist bands.had plugins in the room and also sprayed ourselves before going out at dusk but he was still itching and scratching!! Going to pdc this year so can anyone recommend anything else? Maybe tablets to take before leaving the uk?. Werent bothered with bites in cancun

Dawn

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mozzies/sandflies

I have lived in Central and South America...and have spent time at the Amazon and such. We always took thiamin tablets starting about two weeks before our excursions up until we got back home. Thiamin is a water soluble vitamin and it is secreted by your sweat, etc. Seems the mosquitoes don't like the scent that your body gives off ...non- detectable to humans.

fife
Level Contributor
618 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mozzies/sandflies

Lola is thiamin prescribed, or bought over the counter?

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mozzies/sandflies

It's the B1 vitamin, and I've always bought it over the counter.

Some will say there is no scientific proof that it works, but from personal experience, I will not hesitate to take the extra tablets this summer back home in Texas and on vacation in Mexico in July.

fife
Level Contributor
618 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mozzies/sandflies

Thanks very much fo info

Dawn

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mozzies/sandflies

I don't find citronella effective - plus it is carcinogenic!

I use a spray with DEET on exposed areas of skin - OFF is one brand but there are others.

I also make sure to wash off at a poolside shower when coming in from the beach, and don't take beach towels to the room so sand critters can't hitch a ride. Keeping patio / balcony doors shut as well helps.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mozzies/sandflies

Hubby uses 100% deet you can get it online from Amazon. It's the only thing that helps him, he's tried all sorts of things.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mozzies/sandflies

I agree, you need something with deet!!

fife
Level Contributor
618 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mozzies/sandflies

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated

Dawn

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mozzies/sandflies

100% is strong . deet is nastty stuff . 30-50% work fine too you dont necessarily need 100% . im not sure its effective against sandflies tho.

i didnt see any sanflies in tulum , there where tiny flies in biosphere baeches but they didnt bite during day / unprotected .

the mozzies are aggressive tho , i even got bites during daytime in breezy shaded beach bars like om , cesiak and zamas in tulum . not known constant daytime ones before really , mind you it can be jungly here .

tharobster.wordpress.com - tulum blog .

northumberland
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: mozzies/sandflies

Hiya, we have been to the Caribbean many times, tried the 100% deet spray still got covered in bites.

Last year we went to Kenya on Safari and used Thiamine Patches never got bit once, this year we are going PDC so we will be useing the Patches again.

Beatsa