We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vim vs Erc

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vim vs Erc

Deciding between VIM and ERC. ERC is only and extra $30pp a night and was wondering if the resort is a step above the VIM. I have heard such great things about both I am not sure which way to go. Does the excellence have any daytime activities for early 20's? or things to do at night for that matter? also does anyone know the premium alcohol brands that are served at either resort? anything helps

thanks

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,587 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vim vs Erc

I believe ERC is a step up from the VIM but there's a real issue with seagrass at the stretch of beach were ERC is located. I stayed next door (at the NOW Sapphire) and ERC was on my wish list for a long time - not anymore. For me, the seagress really IS a deal-breaker. If you don't like to swim in the ocean, then it's fine. They do a great job of raking up what washes up on the beach (although the noise/smell of the tractor can harsh one's mellow a bit) but they can't do anything about what's in the first few feet of ocean and, well, it's icky!

Both resorts are rather laid back at night and they're both a bit isolated location wise - which means you're pretty much tied to whatever is on offer at the resort unless you want to cab it into town for some "action". Honestly, as a 20-something, I think I would've found anywhere outside of Cancun or PdC to be a bit boring, especially at night. Have you considered staying closer in to civilization?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vim vs Erc

thanks for the reply. Weve done playa del carmen before a few times and we love it but no need to go in this time. Not really looking to party, I was just hoping that there would be things to do on the resorts at night.. a band, dj or something

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,587 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vim vs Erc

I'm sure ERC offers something but, not having stayed there, I'm not sure what.

In addition to the usual [cheesy] resort shows, the VIM has a live band that plays until 11 followed by a DJ who goes until about 1 am. This all takes place in the open-air Plaza, so dancing under the stars (weather permitting, of course). In the case of inclement weather, this all moves inside to the Don Miguel lounge. Twice a week, there's a themed buffet complete with entertainment (Mexican Fiesta Night and Caribbean Night). Depending upon the season, I think they also do a beach party weekly as well (not in summer though 'cos it's turtle nesting season at the beach at night).

Edited: 10 April 2013, 16:39
Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vim vs Erc

Not sure if we were just lucky, but of the 5 nights we stayed at VIM in November we had two nights of live entertainment in Don Miguels after dinner. We loved the bar so much, we went back there after dinner each night (and that is after starting there for sushi and drinks every night before dinner). The first night a live band did a bunch of 70s cover songs - whole place was singing and dancing. The second times was 80s cover - I do not think it was the same band. Both were great fun!! Never stayed at ERC, but stayed at EPM years ago and found it a little boring.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vim vs Erc

My choice would be the VIM.

The beach/ocean entry and the sea grass is enough for me to take ERC off my list.

6. Re: Vim vs Erc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 06:19