We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still Safe?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas City, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Still Safe?

I have seen recent news reports concerning violence in Cancun. Is the Playa/Cancun region still still safe? Also, we will be staying at a private residence, so I was wondering if that would present any safety conerns?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Still Safe?

Still safe and safer than many other places

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still Safe?

If you don't deal drugs or go looking for them you will be just fine.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,967 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still Safe?

Yup. Safe. Just got back two weeks ago and I (female) walked all over by myself. Just use your common sense like you would at home. If at night, I don't walk by myself in unfamiliar places or isolated streets. Just like home.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Still Safe?

"'Unequivocally, yes,' said Peter Greenburg, well-known travel expert and Travel Editor for CBS’s 'The Early Show'"...

consumeraffairs.com/news/is-it-still-safe-to…

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still Safe?

We were staying in Playacar phase 1 where you find so many houses by the sea. It seemed like it was the busiest ever for tourists walking into and out of time. No reports of any serous crimes with tourists. I would be cautious about the other tourists:-))

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still Safe?

Just dont stand counting your money outside an ATM,walking around drunk in alleys,sleeping on the beach at night or use your iphone as a camera at nightclubs.Why not iphone? well,iphones are worth a 6 months salary for a mexican.Use a pocket camera for pictures and the iphone for wifi at the hotel.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still Safe?

"iphones are worth a 6 months salary for a mexican" lol! The average 6 month salary is about 6,000 USD in Mexico and iphones don't cost that much. Nearly every Mexican I know has an iphone or similar - gadgets really aren't sought after as much as jewellery or cash.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still Safe?

Average 6 month salary 6000 USD?haha well that must be a wealthy mexican.At Walmart an Iphone is 11900 pesos and the minimum salary is around 400 USD/month which turns to 4800 pesos.But many earn less than 400 USD/month and for those it can be a 6 month Salary while for others between 2-3 months of Salary.True many have smartphones but mostly old Samsungs or HTC.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still Safe?

I dropped my iPhone on the beach at night and a very nice young Mexican man who had just finished practicing his fire show came over and helped me locate it, saying he saw me drop it. He had not gone over to pick it up for himself. He adamantly refused the $20US I offered him but ultimately accepted after I insisted. So.... People are ot all bad and are not after iPhones in Mexico.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Still Safe?

Two years ago, during the daytime, my wife and I were out exploring the north end of 30th Ave. near the stadium. A couple of locals told us that it wasn't safe for us to be there. Looking back, we were the only tourists in that area. Other than that, the main tourist spots are very safe.