We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Glad you had a great time! We have 28 days to go for our fourth visit! Can't wait!!! Will you post a review?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

You're going to have a blast. The ride from Cancun to Playacar is about 45 minutes, depending on traffic.

The hotel itself is beautiful, the pool and beach are breath taking. The nightly shows are entertaining, but the hotel shuts down around midnight, and it's dark. The food at the buffets is excellent, but the drinks are extremely watered down. If you want a buzz, buy a bottle at the airport in Cancun, and keep it in your room.

The town itself is awesome, lots to do. We took the ferry to Cozumel on a Sunday, and spent the day at Money Bar. Great place, with even better food. But the town is very quiet on Sunday's, but that wasn't a problem, as we spent the entire day at the Money Bar.

Not many mexican restaurants around 5ta Avenida or Calle 12, mostly Italian cuisine, but you can eat the best tacos at Don Sirloin (across from Coco Bongo), and I mean THEE best tacos and I'm from L.A.

Playacar is huge, and very safe day or night.

Tulum is a nice excursion if combined with Xel-Ha Natural water park, but very hot.

Hope you enjoy your trip, and hopefully your flight does not connect in Dallas. The absolute worst!

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

gameover, haha, no we learned two years ago when we had a connecting flight in Miami to Newark going home. Due to weather, our flight at 9 pm was cancelled in Miami and everyone had to scramble for hotels. Now it's direct flight only! Luckily, I have enough miles to fly us there for free direct on United. We love the Riu chain. We've been to Riu Ocho Rios, Palace Tropical Bay Negril, Palace Punta Cana, Palace Aruba and Palace Riviera Maya three times! That is our favorite!! Ok, so I will add Don Sirloin to my restaurant list and where is Money Bar? We'll give that a try too. I know the alcohol is weak, but that's ok with me. My first drink is usually between 8 and 9am at breakfast with a bloody mary or mamosa :) continuing at the pool bar with many many pina coladas. If it was full strength booze, I'd be sleeping by noon! Can't wait to see my friends again at the hotel! It's been a year and a half since we've been, so it will be soooo good to get back.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Direct flight for me in the future, I've learned my lesson. lol

The Money Bar Beach Club is in Cozumel, about 15 from the ferry dock. It's a beautiful place, very tropical. A day trip to Cozumel is a must if you're staying in Playa, it's about $13 each way per person, but the island is so beautiful. The water is so calm, the Caribbean is literally a blue swimming pool.

Also, beware of the green salsa at Don Sirloin. It looks like guacamole sauce, but it's not! It's extremely hot, and very addicting, so good.

Enjoy your vacation, the weather right now is in the high 80's. The forecast called for showers during our visit, but never saw a drop.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Debbie, the Money Bar used to be called something else, name escapes me as you know. lol But it has fantastic snorkeling, just walk right in. Great food and drinks at the Money Bar.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Yeah, that's the usual with the weather reports, I try not to look before vacation anymore. As far as the green salsa (my husband can't handle it) but for me the hotter the better. Thanks, I know we'll have a great time again!

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Bob, I would love to go over to Cozumel, but every time we've been in Playa the water is sooo rough going over. That wouldn't work for me, I get seasick on a raft in the bay lol. Hopefully this time we'll make it over.

Mt. Pleasant
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Can you tell me if the hotel provides shuttle to play del carmen at night or do you just get a taxi? Are they safe to ride back in at midnite or later? Staying also at riu palace riviera maya..stayed at a riu in aruba

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

No, the hotel does not provide a shuttle. It is about a $7 or $8 cab ride each way and it is VERY safe. The doorman will whistle for a cab (they wait at the end of the driveway) and will take you to 5th Ave. I don't think there will be a problem, just stay around people. Use the same precautions that you would at home. When are you going?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Awesome 7 days in Playa and RIU Palace Riviera Maya.

Debbie, I get seasick floating on my back in the water. So know what you mean. I just take a gravol, or similar, about 1/2 hour to an hour before getting on the ferry and I'm good to go. Sometimes. lol Last trip back the ferry was rolling side to side and people all around us using the bags they gave everyone when they got on the ferry. Thank goodness when we finally got to the dock in PDC. lol

And for Marcie, getting a cab back to the resort you just walk up the street from the ferry and the taxi stop is right there. They'll see your bracelet and say which Riu Palace? Always a good idea to confirm price - just say 70 pesos to the driver?