We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
salt lake city, utah
9 posts
Save Topic
Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

We recently had the unfortunate experience of renting Casa Picon in March. We were assured it was 100% ready for us, except for the pool. When we arrived it was a mess. We had no air conditioning, no phone, few working appliances, we ran out of water for one day, the list goes on.

This property and the adjacent Casa Willow are not completely repaired, or recovered from the damage they incurred after the hurricane. Furthermore, Casa Picon is basically a construction site. We endured banging, hammering, hydraulic trench diggers, and workers in the car port from early morning till evening.

The owner and the agents met with us while we there. They apologized for the unpleasant situation, and for putting our children at risk (the pool that was not there was a deep hole with nails, planks and hardware at the end of the deck). In fact there were wires, tools, wooden planks all over the property. I found one of the worker's machetes in the front yard when I came in with my kids one afternoon.

The owner and the rental agent both assured us that we would get our money back. To this day, the rental agent will not return our phone calls or email. And we have gotten no refund, let alone the security deposit promised in the contract.

Be careful dealing with these people, they do not give an honest representation of their properties (the villa looks nothing lime it does on their website - before WIlma, and they kept all our money regardless of the rental agreement or their promises.

For a full review go to www.playa.info , forums/ general/ Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware.

Washington State
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

fheo-

Since they closed the forum on the playa.info web site, I never have heard if you were reimbursed?

Please let us know how it all turned out.

Michigan
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

We also had a week scheduled for this past winter, but luckily cancelled and booked another villa further south. However, rental "agents", Michael and Megan Murphy, kept our 50% deposit (nearly $2,000) and have not gotten back to me despite numerous attempts to contact them regarding future availability. All I have asked for is the weeks that are available this upcoming winter, so that we can use the week we have already paid for (well, 50% of it anyway).

Have you heard anything from them, or anyone else? Do you have a contact besides this couple? I was under the impression that Megan and Michael owned Casa Willow, but not Casa Picon...you mentioned you met the owner of Picon...do you have their contact info?

salt lake city, utah
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

No I have not received any reimbursement, let alone the security deposit owed to me according to the contract. They will not answer their phones, or respond to emails.

They do in fact own Casa Willow, and act as agents for Casa Picon, which is owned by Carlos Picon. I have no further contact info about him, but know he lives in Cancun.

I hope you get to use your deposit on a future stay, but I am afraid they will not respond to you and you will loose the money. This is beyond unprofessional, this is unethical and dishonest.

I am pursuing this matter in small claims court. WIsh me luck. I hope this posting helps other families avoid getting misled by the Murphy's. Stay away!

salt lake city, utah
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

Send me your email address if you would like more contact information on the Murphys.

fheo

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

How awful for you. What a shame that people take advantage of others in this way. I do hope you have better luck getting your money back...and soon. Thanks so much for warning us.

Michigan
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

My email address is thomas.whitehouse@ubs.com. You can also call me - I would love to have a few minutes of your time to discuss what steps you have already taken, and ESPECIALLY what steps you are taking with the small claims court approach. My phone# is 517.290.6173. Call anytime. If you'd rather just email me with the details, that would be appreciated.

I was advised by a lawyer here in Michigan that small claims court would not be worth my time. I read your posts on www.playa.info, and it looked like you had gotten the same advice at one point. But then I read how you were filling out papers to be filed in court...of course they closed the forum so I never did find out what happened with that.

I simply cannot believe that they would walk away from numerous renters and not even call or email back. It isn't like they can disappear from the face of the Earth. They are US citizens, they have a mailing address, they have email addresses, and I also have a personal cell phone number for Meghan Murphy. For them to think that one or more jilted renters won't take legal action is naive at best. Way too much money involved here.

Michigan
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

One more thing: have you heard from anyone else who is being ignored? I recall on your www.playa.info postings that someone had replied to you saying something like, "we have information that can help you, and you could help us." Too cryptic for me to tell if they were also having problems with the Murphys, but I just wanted to ask. I suppose one option would be to pool resources and really go after them. i.e., hire a lawyer local to their area and pursue a much larger sum of money, representing a) your refunds, b) my deposit, c) other people's damages, and d) a to-be-determined dollar amount for the inconveniences we have all faced. Let me know in your reply if you know of others...thanks.

highlands new jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

HOW DO THESE PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT??? I too was following your terrible vacation saga on Playa.info, I wish you good luck and I hope it will all work out for you. The word is now getting out; STAY AWAY FROM THESE RENTALS. , We will be on our famiy trip this week and I can understand your total disappointment, and yes you had definite safety issues. I truly hope something good comes back at you, you should also post info on Locogringo.com Cheers and Good Luck!!!

salt lake city, utah
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

(Dewitt, Thanks for your reply. I will call you later today.) You have some good suggestions. I do know others in our situation. I've learned that small claims court is not completely futile. Maybe we all can pool resourses as you suggested. Also, if you would like to post your own experiences on playa or locogringo, maybe more "victims" will come out of the woodwork. Unbelievable.

salt lake city, utah
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa Picon / Casa WIllow Renter Beware

(Dewitt, Thanks for your reply. I will call you later today.) You have some good suggestions. I do know others in our situation. I've learned that small claims court is not completely futile. Maybe we all can pool resources as you suggested. Also, if you would like to post your own experiences on playa or locogringo, maybe more "victims" will come out of the woodwork. Unbelievable.