We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abbreviation frustration

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Abbreviation frustration

I just have to have a niggly moan about abbreviations. Im fairly new to these forums and find it quite annoying when people write posts and do not put the full resort name in the original post. I understand people who write responses to the original post not wanting to type the full name out as some are particularly long, but being new to Mexico entirely I dont know all the hotels and their abbreviations so often don't know where people are even talking about! Just a few I have seen....

CRT SMB EPM ITA ERC...

Also, if someone could shed some light on what 'DH' stands for that would be great. Thanks! Rant over.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abbreviation frustration

CRT = Catalonia Royal Tulum

SMB= Secrets maroma beach

EPM= Excellence Playa Mujeres

ERC = Excellence Riviera Cancun

ITA= I totally agree

DH = dear husband

DW= dear wife

HTH........ meaning, hope that helps :)

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abbreviation frustration

Others you may see

OTOH= on the other hand

IMO= in my opinion

BTW= by the way

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abbreviation frustration

DH is 'dear husband'....or, 'damn husband', depending on the poster, I suppose!

I totally agree about the abbreviations...for those of us who don't always necessarily choose AIs, it's irritating. I wish people would at least write the full hotel name out at least once per thread, early on.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abbreviation frustration

most that start with R are the RIU resorts like RPRM Riu Palace Riviera Maya RPM Riu Palace mexico etc.

The issue is that most of us TAers use these boards as entertainment and to help others but we are also VERY well versed in the area so to us- these abbreviations are just 'normal' :) If you have any other issues- just let us know- we are ALL happy to help!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abbreviation frustration

Thanks all of you for your replies. And thanks for the clarity on some of the abbreviations. I will be able to appreciate more now what people are talking about... but still feel it would help for the 'OP' (;P) to include the full name of the resort being discussed.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abbreviation frustration

asmit, hotel abbreviations are bad for me too. If someone wants to know how to get to Coba ruins from hotel WYTUR (made up) not only may I not know the hotel but the abbreviation as well.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abbreviation frustration

Valid moon. I agree. If people would at least use one part of the name like Secrets, Bahia, Valentin, most could figure it out IMHO.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abbreviation frustration

Here's a thread from a few years ago that I saved because I also, can't remember all the abbreviations. But once the full name has been mentioned either in the OP or later then I start usuing abbreviations.

tripadvisor.ca/…29715128

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abbreviation frustration

Didn't think I would be the only one with a little frustration around this - but glad to know I aren't just a picky madam!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abbreviation frustration

when writing a review (even if a regular visitor) it may be helpful to everyone to write the name in FULL (the first time) followed by the "shortcut", i.e. "Catalonia Royal Tulum (CRT)", and thereafter I would use the initials.

THere's also IMHO (In my honest opinion)...