We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
497 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

Looking at prices of resorts and some of the prices are really pretty cheap. What was your cheapest vacation that you went home and said you can't beat that resort for the price?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

We don't tend to go 'cheap' but I will say VIM- we paid 218 per night in January for an emerald suite. IMO- even if 218 was for a standard room- you just can't beat the value of this place! It has all the 'luxury' checkoffs (no wristbands, no reservations, 24 hour room service, top shelf liquor)....for 1/2 the cost of many adults only AIs.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

I kind of base everything around my experience with the RIU resorts -- except for the Palaces, have not stayed there. (Would like to!) We've stayed at fancier and more expensive, (El Dorado Royale) but didn't really care for that -- we are more casual and party people. (Yes, even at age 50)

The best for the money -- Golden Parnassus. Second Best - Grand Palladium

Cheapest was The Reef, and it was my least favorite resort until I stayed at Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. Cost more than the Reef, and made the Reef look like tons of fun.

Just to boring and family oriented at Iberostar - and not cheap! The rooms and the resort itself was very nice, but just no action and no fun, and the food was very, very average.

Temptations is always fairly cheap, and we've been there twice. Very much worth the money, in my opinon -- food is above average. People think its a "swingers" place, but it absolutely is not. If people drinking a bit too much, having fun, and flinging out the occassional "F" bomb -- or silly games with blow up dolls and/or blindfolds or Strip Volleyball doesn't offend you -- its a fun place, and you can also find quiet, if that is your thing.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

Ooh, I'm probably going to the VIM next. I THINK its going to hit our sweet spot -- right in the middle as far as price (low, actually, for adult only) and a good mix of quiet places and party places. Now that I am 50, I think it might be good to go a few steps above Golden Parnassus and Tempations -- but I hope we can still have as much fun there, as we did at those places. It sounds to me like the VIM is fancy, not schmantzy, ha ha.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

Cheapest which was actually nice was Bucerius near Puerto Vallarta. It is called the Royal Decameron. It's an all inclusive and has an adults only pool. There are six buildings, 5 pools, food is not gourmet but pretty good. Price during low season is about $108 per night for two people and about $20 more during high season.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 20:02
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
838 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

Can't beat Riu non-palace resorts IMHO. Everything is up to par to palaces, the only difference is palaces look fancier, everything else I'd say is the same.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

"What was your cheapest vacation that you went home and said you can't beat that resort for the price?"

The one that fits that description for us was the Barcelo Maya Palace....we got a great deal though, I would not have felt it was as good value if we would have paid full price- it is NOT a cheap resort normally.

Another that fits the description was the Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres- also got a very cheap deal.

But usually we have paid for cheap and got cheap... ;)

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

I went to the Viva Maya one time on a long weekend because it was cheap and I'd only be there 3 days so I figured why not. Never again!!! You truly get what you pay for. I am part redneck and I wouldn't stay there again if it were free lol.

To me the best bang for your buck is either of the Riu Palaces.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

RIU Tequila. Had some great cheap vacations here. Yes, it's not the Palace but you can afford to eat in Playa as often as you like, trip around and not worry about breaking the bank. Worst one in the RM was the Bahia Coba. Couldn't help comparing it to the Tequila (which would have been the same money) and other resorts we had stayed in around the RM and the DR and boy did fall short. Good thing we know the RM well so we just used it as a base.

We really never have a bad time. We just adjust and go with it (-: Always something good about every place, just sometimes not enough to ever return.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

My daughter spent 5 nights at the Reef Playacar. $900 per person. It was AI and that price included airfare. The Reef has a beautiful beach, beautiful pool, nice jungle atmosphere, the rooms are small and it was so cheap that they didn't feel guilty going into Playa for dinner everynight. They did say the food was OK for breakfast and lunch.

United States
Level Contributor
187 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What was your cheapest /nicest all inclusive you have been ?

We always now stay in condos but for a Feb 2010 trip... 8 nights at the Barcelo Palace for $1180 including airfare (and my city has higher than average airfare). 4 of us in two rooms. Booked it during the swine flu scare in summer '09. The price was double the next year. Nice place...especially at that price.