We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
63 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

I have been to many Riu hotels ...this will be the first time to Playa Del Carmen...Have already booked the RIu palace Riviera Maya but having second thoughts now after seeing the Mexico has been remodeled...what are your thoughts....

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

We will be returning to the Riu Palace Riviera Maya for the fourth time on May 28. It is a beautiful hotel with an unbelievable staff! The Palace Mexico has been redone, but it's a little too modern for me. We've never stayed at the Palace Mexico, but visit there every time we're in Playa. I think it's a little more lively at the RPRM. The RPM seemed a lot more laid back to me.

Bob??

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

Yup, depends what you're looking for. RPM has the new Riu look, lots of pics out there now. Also, see what the new Yucatan will look like - ultramodern.

RPRM has the more traditional look. Generally more children at the RPRM. All RPM rooms have the open bathroom style that the jacuzzi tub is next to the bed, double sinks and shower entrance door you can see from the bed/sitting area. Huge shower is behind a fogged door and toilet is in a small separate room. RPM now has a cafe/dessert bar which is really nice to visit, next to the piano. 4 different sized pools for various activities, RPRM has 1, maybe 2, larger ones. RPRM's bathroom has a hydromassage tub/shower combination and all bathroom facilities behind a door. RPM rooms better for couples. RPM has a 24 hour lounge, RPRM a 24 hour sports bar. We quite liked the new look.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

I like the rooms, but I think the common areas are over the top. I would love that shower instead of the shower in the bathtub at RPRM. We will definitely check it out next week when we go. Maybe seeing it in person will change my mind.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

I do like the reno at rpm...the pool area and outdoor courtyard areas are awesome. Not a fan of the mauve though;)

Aside from those two main differences there are small subtle differences. Like dress code for men. This is a deal breaker for us unfortunately. When at rpm men have to wear long pants at all restaurants except the steakhouse, and that includes the buffet. The rprm only requires men to wear long pants at 2 of the ala cartes and not buffet.

If thats not a biggie for you then stay rpm and enjoy. They are both great resorts

Edited: 21 May 2013, 19:03
Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

I really can't wait to see it! I agree about the mauve/purple. And from what I've been reading on these forums for the past six months, the dress code at the RPM is constantly changing. I'll get that info when I go next week.

6. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya or Riu Palace Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 06:17