We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish Lamps- 2013

Boston...
Level Contributor
327 posts
21 reviews
30 helpful votes
Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

I've seen threads from 2010 and 2011. Is there a go-to shop in Playa for Jellyfish Lamps? I love them and want to bring a couple home. Staying at VIM.

Thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

We found a very nice shop while exploring off of 5th Ave. The store owner was the artisan of all of the lamps in his store, and they were beautiful. He was a very friendly and polite person, and had cool jewelry there that he made also. And he was willing to do some nice deals, the more you bought. None of the tough in your face crap type of bartering you see at many places on 5th. Now if I could only recall the store name or street! Sorry, I'll check with my wife. Bottom line: get well off of 5th ave, otherwise known as tourist meca.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
208 reviews
157 helpful votes
2. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

http://www.jellyfish.com.mx/contact_us.html

There's a couple locations..I was at the one on the corner of Calle 4 and 5th av. But...as bellasogno said...step away from 5th av and they'll be cheaper! There was also a nice shop on 6th or 8th between 5th and 10th av that were cheaper than the store I went to above.

Boston...
Level Contributor
327 posts
21 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

Thank you! This is good advice.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

They really are everywhere. I got mine in Puerto Morelos where I got to see them being made. Interesting.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
480 posts
90 reviews
86 helpful votes
5. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

This may be a really silly question but what is a jellyjish lamp?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
22 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

I was thinking the same thing so I just googled it. Interesting is a good way to put it....................lol

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
208 reviews
157 helpful votes
7. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

Great question Johjoanne...I don't know where the name came from but I believe they're gourds that are hollowed out and hardened (almost wood like) that they carve lovely designs in and put glass beads where the light reflects different patterns around the room.

I bought a night light for about $15 or $20 that I put in my bathroom and get asked about it all the time. The shop I talked about on 6th or 8th between 5th and 10th av had an older gentleman making them...they're very cool!

Check out the link above...I think they look way better in real than in photos.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

Mine will be hanging on my cottage deck for the summer -out of elements. Get lots of comments and adds nice festive atmosphere. Nice to see you back WIBS!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
208 reviews
157 helpful votes
9. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

Thanks Cormac! :-) Hope you have a fantastic summer on your deck!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,839 posts
271 reviews
243 helpful votes
10. Re: Jellyfish Lamps- 2013
Save

I've been to the Jellyfish Lamp store 8 weeks ago, that's just off 5th across from Carboncitos restaurant (which by the way is fabulous for a meal). Go there at night and see the Jellyfish lamps twinkling all over the place. Love it! They come in various sizes and shapes and you can even buy ones that sit on your table top. I'd be careful where you buy them. For me, I'd buy them here ..... OR make sure you get from a good place because some of the stores are were not made well and when people got them home, they later found their gourds to be smelling and rotting away. Just an FYI. But for sure, this is a good place to get them.

$USD
United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.