We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
424 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

I'd like to spend a couple nights in the Maroma area with my sister (in our 50's). We want to relax, have good cocktails/decent food, and be on an outstanding white sand beach. We don't care if there's nightlife and have no preference as to AI or not (although i haven't had much luck w AI's in the past). It's between SMB, Maroma Resort and Royal Hideaway. Am I splitting hairs between the 3? I'd appreciate any thoughts from those with experience to help make a choice. Oh, and I don't care for piped in loud music & whistle blowing for volleyball - does that eliminate one? Thanks!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

HI, We have been to Royal Hideaway and are at SMB now. I Would say for what you are looking for good for go for Royal Hideaway. There are no pool games or loud piped music at. Hideaway, I would say it is more polished. We did not like having to make dinner reservations at Hideaway that's why we have chosen SMB this time. The food at SMB. I would say so far is the best of any where we have stayed.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

You might want to add El Dorado Maroma to your list. It would certainly fit everything you are describing.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

Isn't RH south of PDC? Not in Maroma area.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

I think I would go with the RH because it fits all of those requirements AND it just happens to be close enough to town that you could walk there.

ny
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

I suggest Royal Hideaway as well. The service is incredible and the cuisine is superb. The beach is expansive , kept in pristine condition, and the view from the beach or infinity pool ( directly on the beach ) is breathtaking.We have been there 46 times ( and counting)and consider it our second home. However, it is a property that has many guests who have also been to RH on multiple occasions. That in itself bodes very well for Royal Hideaway. It is my opinion, that it has the ambiance that you are seeking. Feel free to ask any questions.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

SMB has a more lively atmosphere and some really great food for the most part. Based on what you've said the Royal Hideaway would fit the bill. The food is equally as good as SMB and as long as you make any reservations ASAP on arrival you shouldn't have any issues. Go to their website and make a written list of the restaurants you want and the days you want them on (use Google translator if you don't speak Spanish) and give it to the concierge. RH has that refined service that makes you completely at ease and for us that is just priceless. SMB seemed in my opinion to be too 'corporate chain hotel' my tastes for but I certainly understand with its beach and grounds how it gets it number 1 rating - it just isn't for us. We crave quiet surroundings, a great beach, no loud rap music, refined service where your needs are met before you even know you have them - a less in your face all inclusive luxury experience - RH fits us to a 't'. Good luck.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

The Hideaway is a very nice resort, it's on my list :-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

I've never been to any that you mention but I've always said that if I could ever afford it the way I would want to do it, I'd visit Maroma Resort & Spa no questions asked. I had an old co-worker that honeymooned there and she said it was the most pampered vacation she had ever been on. Grant it her uber rich husband didn't mind paying $15+ for each of her cocktails she was drinking all day everyday & they had one of the best rooms at the resort but the stories of service she told seem out of this world. In fact, the stories from her honeymoon are what started my research for my own honeymoon to the area.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

SMB and RH, while nice, are not in the same league as Maroma Resort. You won't pay nearly as much for the other two either.

Two are upper-end adult-only AI's, and Maroma Resort is neither, but more luxe.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 18:08
Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SMB, Maroma Resort or Royal Hideaway?

I would love to go to Maroma Resort and Spa,But I think it is Not AI and the place is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

Jon