We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort close to town

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
someplace cold
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Resort close to town

We would like to go to Playa de Carmen for spring break 2014. We would be traveling with teenagers. We're looking for a larger resort with swimming pools (not AI) that is close to town. We would love to be able to walk (up to 1 mile). Any suggestions?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort close to town

You have two things going for you in not getting response...

1. You mentioned spring break. PDC is not the area for that.

2. You wanted close to town but large and not an AI. Doesn't exist. Lots of boutique hotels, condos, and large AI resorts in PDC.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort close to town

If spring break atmosphere and large non-AI resorts are important, than Cancun is the place. There are many excellent resorts that would fit the bill there. Playa is not geared up for that, the closest non-AI resort would be a driving distance.

Maybe a condo with nice pools would suffice, but they are smaller than resorts. Take a look at Xaman Ha, El Faro, Fishermans.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort close to town

Good idea with condos. Lots of family room, many have pools, you can "eat in" or not, and they're everywhere-in and out of the city. Another plus-kids usually not a problem.

4. Re: Resort close to town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 20:59
someplace cold
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort close to town

We're going the first week of April, we're not looking for a spring break atmosphere, it's just when my boys have a week off of school. We were there around the same time this year with my husband's company and loved it! Thanks for your responses. I kind of figured what I was looking for would be hard to find. Just thought I would ask the PDC experts as I've only been there once.

UK
Level Contributor
95 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort close to town

Many independent hotels are small, if you are looking for a non AI place it will not be large. More hacienda style and on a small scale.

way north
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort close to town

Look into The Royal Haciendas. It is on the northern edge of Playa in a gated area. It is a timeshare that has recently gone to a mandatory AI model for non-owners, but you can get around that by renting from an owner, as it is then optional. It is walking distance into town along the beach although it is a fair hike. The resort offers scheduled, free shuttles to and from town. It is rated top 15 on here and we will be going back for 2 weeks in November. Excellent staff, daily maid service, a great on-site dive shop. hey have full kitchens and we take the shuttle into Playa and shop at Walmart or Mega... There is an onsite grocery with decent prices, on-site laundry, etc. We took our eldest grand-daughter last year and she loved it.. I would suggest looking at the option..

Edited: 09 June 2013, 00:51
someplace cold
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort close to town

Thanks Kenie, I will look into that!

way north
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort close to town

There are rentals on www.tug2.net (timeshare user group) and www.redweek.com.

The 1 bedroom has 2 single murphy beds in the living room and the 2 bedroom includes the lock-off which has 2 double beds. I recommend tug.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort close to town

Have you looked at renting a condo, like on www.vrbo.com ?

Natz Ti Ha ticks all your boxes, a friend of mine with teens,a boy and a girl, stayed there and they loved it. Up north and away from the spring break craziness, and Playa DOES get that!