We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday slim down has begun!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday slim down has begun!

So my holiday slimming has officially begun a week ago when I joined my local slimming club (though truthfully it was needed all round not just for this trip) and we have 102 days to go till we fly to Playa. Has anyone else started slimming - if so, any tips you'd like to share? I have read a couple of posts on here saying people have put a stone on in 2 weeks all inclusive, so I figure even if I lose that and eat and drink my face off - at least I will break even!

Kent England
Level Contributor
507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

good luck

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

Good on you girl!! I have 54 days to perfect the body of a 22 yr old bikini model, sadly, all the planking in the world aint gonna make that happen, so I shall be happy with a wobbly bellyed, bingo winged, dimple thighed middle aged happy holidaymaker!!!

Don't you worry, there will always be someone on the beach or at the pool to make you feel good about yourself!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

So far your Dr Michael Mosely, an Englishman, may have the best idea. 2 days fasting (500 calories) and then 5 days eating whatever you want. The science behind the diet is very compelling. One must strive to look good while on the beach. What's tough is fasting while in Playa on vacation. You can lose quite a bit of weight in 7 weeks.

Truth or...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

I'm going to look into the 5:2 diet. So yes, the Holiday Slim Down has begun!!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,095 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

My tip is to make sure that when you are sliming down, that you are exercising enough so that you maintain and/or increase muscle. Too often, when people just diet, they lose muscle mass in addition to fat - then when they gain the pounds back from eating, drinking, and lying around, they gain back all the pounds in the form of fat. When all is said and done, they may weigh the same as before, but they have increased their % body fat.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

My problem is I loose a little weight before hand, get home still weigh the same when I get back. Then I drink water, get hydrated & gain 5-8 lb in 3 days or less.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

If you study the 5:2 diet you will understand that it consumes all the glucose in your bloodstream. You go 6 hours with limited calories and you will feel the burn. The body than uses the fat stored for energy. The Warrior diet is an offshoot of the diet and there you fast for 16 hours and then load up on calories and work out and pump iron like mad. Some feel that's the best way to build muscle. One doesn't necessarily go on the diet to lose weight. There are numerous health benefits. The side effect to those benefits is that you lose weight, you lose fat. SusyQ has the right idea, look into it. Lots of info on youtube, Amazon and Vimeo.

We are non AI tourists. I don't know how folks control themselves going AI, so many wonderful temptations.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

Due to a scare of diabetes after the first of the year, I have managed to lose 43 lbs by:

1. Getting off the couch and walking 2 miles a day, at least four times a week.

2. Breakfast- two egg omelet with fresh spinach, lean ham and black beans and a fresh tomato.

3. Fitting spinach, kale and roasted root vegetables into lunch and dinner.

4. Lots of lean protein, cottage cheese and other cheeses while limiting carbs.

5. A pot of jasmine green tea every other day.

6. A Tanqueray martini while fixing dinner.

7. Taking my evening scotch neat instead of on the rocks (I drink 75% less that way).

In addition to the weight loss, blood sugars and A1C Hgb all normal. Still losing weight at 1 lb. per week.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

Forgot to add, after starting this I was losing a pound a day for the first 3 weeks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday slim down has begun!

I'll throw in more.....it's best if you do weight strengthening exercises with your muscles. Keep them strong. Biceps, triceps...whatever. You need to use weights for your muscles and build lean muscle mass while losing the fat. Throw in squats and sit-ups (crunchies). .....and of course ....cardio. Drink 8 glasses of water a day and you should be good to go- (forget counting calories.... count carbs, proteins and fats).