We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pool game incident

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Pool game incident

Hi, has anyone experienced this & if so what was the out come. The ents team were playing kick the ball in the net game, a guest kicked the ball way too high/too far, by accident & hit our sunbed & a bag & knocked a shirt off the bed but scored a dire ct hit on the kindle, which is now broken. Awaiting the management response.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pool game incident

It's unfortunate that your kindle is broken, but it was an accident. You bring items outside at your own risk.

Maybe, your kindle should have stayed in your room or when not in use tucked in your bag .

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pool game incident

Yes, I agree. The hotel is not responsible for your loss. It's a shame, but items are carried, stored, used at your own risk. Unless it is a deliberate act of destruction by a hotel employee, that is.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 20:09
northumberland
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pool game incident

Oh daer, will your home insurance not cover it in accidental damage?

Beatsa

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pool game incident

I agree, could have happened anywhere. Pool, beach, baseball game, outdoor concert, etc. These electronic devices are great to have, but expensive to replace. I'm careful where and when I bring mine.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pool game incident

If I was the guest that broke your kindle I would offer to pay for it. I don't think the hotel has any responsibility in this at all, even if you consider it a hotel sanctioned activity and I would never put them in the middle of it. On the flip side, if I was the owner of the kindle I would understand that my item may be at risk in that environment and wouldn't ask or expect the guest to pay for it. Sorry the accident happened. :(

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pool game incident

I've never experienced your exact situation but I'm in commercial property management and deal with insurance/liabilities everyday. If you visited one of my properties and were reading your kindle on my lobby bench then set it down and another tenant dropped a box on it from the atrium opening above, it would be your loss, especially if it were an accident, even if that box came from a building supply of free boxes that we were giving away. If you came to my management office wanting reimbursement or insurance information I wouldn't even give you that, I'd tell you to try talk to the other party involved, but either way my property/property owner wouldn't be responsible for anything more than a "I'm sorry that happened". Sucks it happened either way :(

Edited: 12 June 2013, 20:33
Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pool game incident

I agree with everyone else, an unfortunate accident and don't think the hotel/resort or anyone else should be liable. Bummer, but accidents do happen.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
228 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pool game incident

Travel Insurance will cover it, will be a lower excess than your home insurance (which may not cover you unless you have extended contents), plus won't affect your no-claims discount OR put your premiums up. Also probably a lower excess!

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
338 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pool game incident

Why would you even involve the hotel?

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pool game incident

The game was organised by the ents staff, there wasn't any disclaimers anywhere.