We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

Ramsgate, Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

Hi, I hope someone can help me?

My partner and I are getting married at the El Dorado Maroma Hotel in Riviera Maya, Mexico next January.

We are really confused with the legal paperwork, and getting conflicting information. in the Legal Requirements document, it states that we have to provide both of our birth certificates and my divorce decree absolute (legalised and translated into English), which will cost us over £450.

The wedding planner from Lomas Weddings (Claudia), is saying that if we don't want our parents names on our marriage certificate (which we're not bothered about), we don't need our birth certificates or my divorce decree absolute, just passports, blood tests, tourist cards, etc. can this actually be right???

Obviously, I don't want to spend out nearly £500 on unnecessary legalisation and translation of documents, but I would hate to get out there, only to find we couldn't be married due to a misunderstanding with our wedding planner.

If anyone out there has, or is getting married at this hotel and the paperwork has been sorted out, I would be so grateful if you could email me with some info, as the girl at Thomson's travel agency's attitude of "it will be stress free, and it will all be done for you", is so far from the truth that I am getting more and more stressed with every passing day.

Many thanks in advance.

Diane

Exotik Mayan Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Mercanti Viaggi
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
The Custom Tour by Rod Ratner
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

Have you considered doing the legal paperwork back at home and just having the ceremony part done in Mexico? I think a lot of people go that route.

Ramsgate, Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

That is what I am doing - I am doing the legal paperwork at home. The problem is that websites and legal requirement forms on getting married in Mexico, and my wedding planner have different and conflicting information about what documents I actually need and I don't know which one is correct, and like I said, I don't want to spend out nearly £500 on getting documents legalised and translated if I don't have to.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

Have you looked at the Mexican Consulates UK website? It might be of some help.

http://www.sre.gob.mx/conreinounido/

One problem you likely have is you have two people trying to profit from your wedding, your UK travel agent and the Lomas in Mexico.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

I think you can just hire the physical ceremony there with no paperwork necessary at all can't you? Basically do a civil ceremony at home. Go to the justice of the peace (or whatever you have there) and do the legal ceremony. Do the physical wedding (with friends and family and flowers and photos) down in Mexico with all the legal stuff done separately back at home. No different than a renewal ceremony. Your true wedding anniversary would be the legal date done at home rather than the ceremony date done in Mexico. If that matters to you, then my suggestion won't work for you. Many people do it this way though.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

"That is what I am doing - I am doing the legal paperwork at home. The problem is that websites and legal requirement forms on getting married in Mexico, and my wedding planner have different and conflicting information about what documents I actually need and I don't know which one is correct, and like I said, I don't want to spend out nearly £500 on getting documents legalised and translated if I don't have to."

Well I think you or your wedding planner haven't understood MN's suggestion, then, as what he is suggesting eliminates all need for any such documentation, translated or not. You wouldn't need to worry about any of that, or paying for any of that, because you would have a ceremony only in Mexico — a totally non-binding sort of show, if you will, that is meaningful and enjoyable for the 2 of you and your friends and family members, but one that is not recognized by law — and then you would carry out some simple and legally binding ceremony back home after your stay. (Or of course before your trip even begins, if you prefer.)

This is precisely what many people do, and precisely to avoid the hassles and confusion and expense you describe. Also this has the potential advantage of your marriage being legally on file with no possible confusion or anything right where you live.

So if you are doing what MN is suggesting, you can forget all about the issues you're referring to and just focus on the fun aspects of the ceremony and the people who will be there and all of that.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 14:13
Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

No worries. I got married in Mexico. That is correct. If you don't put your parents names on certificate you don't have to show birth certificate and divorce papers. That is how I did it. Do what she says, she is correct. Don't get married at home before you go. All you will have to do is blood tests and they come to the resort and do it there for you. Really easy to get married there. Listen to your wedding coordinator as I'm sure she has had many weddings there. Private message me with any questions.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 15:07
Ramsgate, Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

Thank you everyone for all your help and comments.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

I was the same as DaBride. I was divorced, so no BC and no parents names on my forms (I just looked at them). We were legally married there and have all the legal paperwork back to make it legal here. We did not translate anything into Spanish as well and neither have my clients who have gotten married in Mexico. However, I can't say for sure that the wedding planner didn't do that for us as we sent her copies of the passports prior to us going, but we certainly didn't do it. We did the blood tests there (5mins. at the hotel) and everything went super smooth. It seems stressful, but you have to remember these ladies do so many weddings that they really do know what they are doing.

Good luck:)

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

I have also responded on your other thread with a link to Lomas' website which has the requirements and they do confirm what Claudia has said.

Congrats!

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legal Paperwork For Getting Married

My son got married two years ago this month @ CRT! But before he and his bride left home they went to the court house and got married. Couple of days later had a very nice ceremony on Xpu-ha beach. Only thing my daughter in law wishes she had done was get a guest registry for all the *guests* in bikinis!

Was a lovely wedding, and I was there!