We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

any questions you can ask me.

Was upgraded to Palace from Colonial without asking. Great Ala carte food and Buffet.

Very nice cool room and given $1200 in coupons. Barcelo wil be on my return list with outstanding service and food and pricing..

Riu playacar given the Ocean front room 3rd floor building 5.. room need some upgrading.

Feel lots of rooms were not occupied Food was just OK nothing great just eat at buffet. Actually Riu tequila Buffet was better then playacar and Tequila is less expensive and more Lively.

Coco bongo was good paid $65 included pickup and drop through Riu Playacar CB rep Rafael who was very great to talk to.

No Rain while their starts raining when leaving...

Cant wait to go back again..

Will write Detail reviews later...

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

Looks like you had a very nice trip - and an upgrade to Barcelo Palace helped:(

I am sure the food at Riu Playacar would look week comparing to a Barcelo Palace - but Barcelo Palace costs twice as much? I agree on Riu Tequila - it is the best value resort out of all regular Riu's in Playacar, but Riu Playacar still had an edge for the families with the younger kids to avoid walking and having the room few steps from the beach and pool so they can go there in few min if needed.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

I agree on Riu Playacar Beach Access, its few steps from building 5/6. Tequila Beach not sure what they using now since Yucatan Beach is all closed even no launchers on the Beach . either they using Palace or Playacar Beach..

Food at playacar or even Tequila is cant even compare what Palace even Tropical/Colonial Ala and buffets.

And Tropical/Colonial are cheaper then Tequila/Playacar.

Kids center at playacar is a joke as compare to Barcelo Palace Kids center and pool area and its frequently visited by other resorts guests like tropical/colonial.

But in riu you need a pass to visit palaces if you not staying in them. In Barcelo I can visit and use the beach and pools even i can eat at their buffets and ala with a xtra $10 charge for buffet and $25 for Ala.

I took a tour of both riu Palaces and was out in 5 min they look deserted and nothing attractive as compare to Barcelo Palace. I like Tequila lobby much Lively then other Riu resorts plus advantage of riu is they are 20 min walk from PDC

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

Tropical/Colonial are not usually cheaper than Tequila/Playacar, it is only true for now, since there is a renovation going on at the Beach/Caribe part of Barcelo and they upgrade lots of people from there to Tropical/Colonial. As a result, Tropical/Colonial are overcrowded as people report so they upgrade some lucky people from Tropical/Colonial to Palace to reduce the overcrowds. Do you know when the reno is going to be finished at the Barcelo? How much of $1200 in coupons did you manage to use? Since they only allow for a very partial payment for the services in coupons, to use $1200 you would probably have to spend $5000?

Edited: 19 June 2013, 07:51
Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

The reno were only at the Barcelo Beach not Barcelo Caribe.

I have no idea when they going to finish the Beach Reno. The Pools were closed in that section but Beach section was open ..

I did use ~$350 in coupons for Massage, buying in the souvenir shop. I spend like $300 to use those coupons. some other good coupons were $200 Credit towards room upgrade and Free Internet which i did not use.. Spending $145 per Day for Two in Palace is Priceless. Just alone the Food will cost that much in USA..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
17 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

Good afternoon, I just saw your post. I am trying to decide between RIU Palace and Barcelo Palace, We have stayed in RIU PRM in past years and loved many things about it. I'm just hestitant about booking a RIU again because I like visiting different resorts. So in your opinion, how would you rank the food, beaches and rooms at the Barcelo? and how far of drive from the airport and playa del carmen?

Thank you in advance for your time

Tracey

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

It is about a twenty minute drive from the Barcelo Palace to PDC.

we thought the food and service was outstanding at the Palace, rooms are really spacious, and the beach is great.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

pm send

8. Re: Just back from Barcelo Palace and Riu Playacar. Great Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:17