We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

who packs

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
408 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
who packs

with my upcoming vacation in july very near. I was speaking to some people at work and also i want to start something on trip advisor. their are three that travel with me now, me, wife and daug my son no longer travels with us. I was talking the other day and the topic was who does what ,

1. make plans for family vacation .. me

2. who packs- the day I said I do was the last day I have ever packed for a family vacation. I place the clothes on the bed and she packs.

3. who holds the passports. that would be my wife cannot not have 3-4 different people hold them . they will get lost.

4. razors , soap, sun tan lotion e,ct . that would be her again

5. holds the money . that would be me

6. wakes everyone up at 4 am . that would be her again

7. who pays that would be me ..

just a little fun topic. so in other words she does everything and I just show up..

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: who packs

Well #1 and #7 are pretty important and you do those. We're also a family of 3 and our list is similar except I (she) does the planning. I love doing the planning! He carries the liquids suntan, conditioner etc since there's usually extra room in his suitcase. Who carries the snacks? I carry the snacks for the plane and airport.

Fun list.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: who packs

I do all of the above and we both pay since we both work full time :) He does pack his own clothes though which generally means giving me the stack to pack ;)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,702 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: who packs

Planning - mostly me.

Packing - we both pack our own stuff

Wakeup call - set the alarm

Holding money - we both carry money and cards

Paying - both. It comes out of the vacation fund, to which we contribute monthly.

United States
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: who packs

I do it all. My husband packs his own clothes. Once he forgot to pack shorts. Oh well.... I tell him, "You take care of yourself." LOL. He's a grown man. He can pack. That goes along with.... he can look after his own pool items, carry his own sunglasses, etc. haha

When we were with friends in Mexico, I heard the other wife say to her husband, "You take care of yourself!" (I was chucklng in my head). So... I'm not alone in my thinking here!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: who packs

I plan. Once we were going on a cruise and he didn't ask me which islands we were going to until the day before! He packs all of his clothes but, I pack everything else. We each carry passports, money and credit cards. We each pay because except for a little spend money all of our money has gone together for 31 years.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: who packs

We each pack our own stuff, are responsible for our own passports, getting half the pesos, etc. I am not his mommy, lol.

We plan the trips together. Usually I do the actual booking part but for our December trip, he did it all for a change.....and was shocked at how much of a PITA it was to book a condo!

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: who packs

Being adults, we each take care of ourselves. As far as planning its equal too. Sometimes I doit sometimes she does.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: who packs

I do all the planning, booking( my husband is internet dumb), and buying of essentials. My husband packs his own stuff...usually hours before we leave which drives me insane. We both pay as we put our joint tax return into our vacation fund. I deal with all the money while we are there.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: who packs

I plan where we go and book the holiday (boyfriend doesn't really care as long as its hot)

He packs his suitcase, and I pack mine

We both hold our own passports, cards and money

We take it in turns to pay for meals, drinks etc when we go out as we both work....

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
408 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: who packs

let me add

# 8 at the airport when I don't need my sunglasses I hand them to my wife. thanks Deana777 almost forgot about that.

#9 at the hotel I am the one who goes to the beach gets the hut. she did that one time and got the worse one on the beach.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 01:48