We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

Been to Playa and LOVED it. Trying to help sister plan honeymoon... anyone been to Puerto Vallarta or Cabo and can compare then against Playa? She would be traveling late Nov (week of Thanksgiving) so I know hurricanes can be an issue, but she will be purchasing trip insurance. ANY insight appreciated!!!

us
Level Contributor
541 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

We have been to Playa, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. PV was in May 99- stayed at what is now "Vallarta Palace". IT was nice. We stayed in Los Cabos for a week the weekend after Thanksgiving. 3 very different places. Depends on what they like. Water is prettier in Playa. Cabo most beaches are unswimable. I think alot will depend on what hotels they are looking at.

San Diego
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

In late November chances of a hurricane are bascially non existent.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges to Bananas between the three destinations.

Playa,

well you have been there so you know what up. Nice NEW town, gorgeous water. Plenty to do, Mayan ruins near by. But in reality no sense of Mexico. Plenty of interest in going back.

Cabo,

It's southern california South, IMO. Extremely Americanized, water is decent and the landscape is desert like. The town of Cabo is a little runed down IMO. The only points of interest in the town of Cabo is one street and that where all of the bars are at. Great fishing. Water is a little cooler since it's farther up north. Feels more like Mexico but not quite. No interest in going back

PVR,

I love PVR. The tourism board certainly made it a point to leave the town as "Old Mexico feel" in place. That is the reason why I love it so much. Though the water is much nicer in the south side of town it is no where in comparison to the MR. So if you want water that will just take your breath away you wont find it here.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

For me it's a tie between Playa and PV...love them both for different reasons. Playa has much nicer beaches, PV has better restaurants, and it's a nice "walk around town".

Cabo is not even in the running for me, it barely "feels" like Mexico to me...

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

Montego, you said it all perfectly!

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

I loved Cabo, but that was in the early 90's! So has it gone downhill? I have always wanted to return but the seven hour plane ride was too much.

I liked PV but been there twice and have no desire to go back. Last time stayed at the Westin which was a gorgeous facility near the marina.

As for Playa, been going to Cancun area for 20 years and always waiting for the next trip.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

I have been to PV twice and Cabo twice and going to Cancun and Playa for the first time next February. I have no desire to go back to PV, but want to go back to Cabo sometime. (I haven't been there in 6 1/2 years and it sounds like it's changed) but I enjoy Cabo. The only reason we didn't go back to Cabo for this upcoming trip is we wanted to experience something new and on the Eastern side of Mexico. I stayed at the SolMar Suites and Pueblo Bonito Rose' - both great. If your sister chooses Cabo (that is where we went on our honeymoon 10 years ago this month) I'd suggest staying on the Medano beach (versus the Pacific Ocean side)- it's swimmable.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

I also agree with Montego. We used to go to PV once or twice a year unti we found the Riviera Maya. PV has many wonderful restaurants, clubs, ect... and is very cultural. Some friends of mine went there in Thanksgiving last year as their hotel in Playa was not yet fully recovered from the hurricanes. Thet loved the zip line canopy tour and still rave about i!! The beaches have darker sand and darker water than Playa. It is Pacific Ocean water and similar to San Diego's beaches and water- not the crystal clear blue ocean and white sands of Playa that we go for....

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

For my wife and I, there is no comparison between Cabo and the Riviera Maya (RM). We started going to the Cancun/RM area in 94. In 99, my wife wanted to try Cabo (I said yes as long as we still did RM) so we went for a week in October. We will never go back to Cabo again. Besides being very expensive and not much to do except golf or fish (which might be fine for some people), the people (locals) were not very friendly. We have been to many places in Mexico and hands down Cabo had the least friendly people we have tried to meet. They were not rude, just not friendly. The people (and the ruins and ocean) in the RM are the greatest treasure we have found in Mexico.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

I guess I don't care to go back to Cabo then, we were there in 92 so it has been a long time ago. At that time the food was fairly cheap and the downtown was a lot of fun.

It definitely did not have the east coast water, but then we have not found any sites on the west coast we like as well as Playa or Cancun.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
761 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa vs. Puerto Vallarta or Cabo

I'd rate Cabo lowest of the three, because it is so North American. (Although, if they are party guys the town would be a lot of fun.)

Puerto Vallarta and Playa would both be great.

Vallarta is a little more romantic, I'd say. More interesting buildings and a more charming downtown, more Mexican, Beautiful beaches, nice scenery around.

But Playa has the advantage of the lovely Caribbean water and the snorkelling, as well as being a lovely place.

It's a tough choice between the two, although if they're dedicated ocean swimmers/snorkelers I'd pick Playa for sure.

Back to you.