We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide!?

Port Neches, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Help me decide!?

Ok. Im driving myself bonkers right now trying to close a deal. Everytime i come close to booking it i find something that drives me away. Lol

Heres the deal: 2 of us. July 31-aug6th. It looks like im spending anywhere from 2000-3000 flight included coming from HOU.

I have stayed at sunset princess 2 years ago and liked it. Loved the pools and beach. Could go for a better nightlife. But overall was good. Just want something new.

Im debating Now Jade in PM and Playacar palace. But i would pay more to get my moneys worth elsewhere.

Im looking for a nightlife, nice bars, one or two good restaurants if available, and a nice beach with activities. 26 years old and we'd like a crowd whos not scared to have some fun.

Easy right? Haha

Any suggestions will help. Even if you tell me to stop being so picky! Thanks.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide!?

Try the Royal in Playa del Carmen. This one is on the higher end. They also have a sister hotel right next door called the gran Porto real if The Royal is out of budget. Although the Royal is absolutely fantastic! In any case, these two particular All Inclusive Resorts are right in the center of town. You will be only a few blocks away from the 12th Street which is where all the active nightlife is. In addition you will be right there with the 5th avenue so you will have easy access to shopping, different restaurants, bars, scenery, etc. Playacar is also nice but won't be within walking distance to nightlife. You will have to tax a taxi but not a far ride at all.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide!?

I've never been to either of the resorts you've mentioned but Playacar Palace looks like it has a beautiful beach & is reviewed as being within walking distance to town albeit further away than the above mentioned Royal Playa Del Carmen.

I was also going to suggest Royal Playa Del Carmen, we'll be there 7/26-8/2 with a few friends to celebrate my 30th birthday and I can't wait! My husband and I honeymooned there in 2008 & loved every second of it, espeically the rooms, food & location. Some say the beach could be better but we think its beautiful and not even a few minutes of a walk North gets you to a larger/wider area of beach. You can read reviews to it and you can see that some people have given it negative reviews because it is a more lively resort (their entertainment staff gets amazing comments on here though). We're most excited about being able to walk to the most famous areas of Playa Del Carmen whenever we please & when we booked our vacation the Royal was definitely cheaper than Playacar Palace (but that was through Expedia in January coming from DFW).

The Valentin Imperial Maya is another good adults only resort that is usually a great value. It has a beautiful stretch of beach as well as several evening entertainment options that include the Plaza area with a live band followed by a DJ every night, a sports bar with pool tables & darts, a beach bar with seasonal fire shows, standard AI theatre entertainment, a fancy/nice bar that serves sushi most nights, etc. I think it has a great vibe but it's nothing like disco/foam parties or anything. I know they offer group trips to Coco Bongo if you wanted to do something a little more wild but we think it's a perfect variety there. Valentin is also very heavy with the pouring of top shelf liquor if you want them to be, sometimes that's rare at All Inclusives.

Secrets Silversands also gets high remarks for the evening vibe but I've never been there and the beach isn't the best reviewed beach out there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide!?

Playacar palace is gorgeous and the service is impeccable. I have not stayed there but did stay at aventura spa last yr and spent a few days at the beach and pools there and it was phenomenal.

Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide!?

Totally not on your list but worth checking out::

EXCELLENCE RESORT NOT RIVIERA CANCUN BUT PLAYA MJERES.

I stayed at the Dominican Republic one and it was PHENOMENAL! I suggest that chain to anyone. Adult only, luxury!

BC
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide!?

While playacar palace is nice there is no night life unless you walk into town.We've been to many resorts still the most fun was Sandos Playacar.

Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me decide!?

I'd steer you away from Excellence Playa Mujeres. It's off the beaten path and does not have much nightlife which it sounds like you are looking for. Just my .02!

MN
Level Contributor
59 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me decide!?

The beaches in Playacar are amazing!

Seattle...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me decide!?

Spin the Decision Making Wheel on Windows device and get your answer. Check it out at http://decisionmakingwheel.com

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me decide!?

If you want nightlight at the hotel you are staying at then I would suggest that you look into Secrets Silversands and Valentin Imperial. Those are the two resorts that we have stayed at that had the best on-site nightly activities.

10. Re: Help me decide!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:20