We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

Is it too rocky to swim here? What about Cozumel. Thanks ahead for any replies!!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

East side of Cozumel would be, but otherwise, no problem!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

Depends where you stay in Playa area. Playacar has great beaches with no rocks. Cozumel does have a lot of reefs which make it great for snorkeling.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

Ironman Cozumel = 2.4 mile open water swim

I've swum in PdC early morning calmer waters in resort roped off area couple laps - remember no lifeguard on duty.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

We swim on the east side beaches of Cozumel. A *lot*. There are some places where it's really too rocky to swim, and others with wide, sandy beaches and gently-sloping sandy bottoms where I can walk out quite a distance before it's too deep to stand. Some places have significant currents. It's really a matter of knowing where to go. One clue is to look at where locals are swimming, which may require being there on a Sunday.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

The Chen Rio area on the east side of Cozumel is GENERALLY safe to swim. Beautiful stretches of beach along there. I've gone swimming along the PDC coast from the Mahekal (north end) to the Sandos Playacar(south end) and many points in between. I've never had an issue but that doesn't mean there aren't dangerous currents out there somewhere.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

Sorry, i meant that the east side of Cozumel would be the only place you might have to worry about locations that were too rocky for swimming (not that it all was). Don't think any PDC areas are like that (even if this or that area at this or that time might be rockier than one would like in terms of beach conditions).

7. Re: Swimming in Playa Del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:20